Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this can be very vague question, and there can be many ways, but I need to know whats out there, and if there is any consensus on the best way to start the training.

I have been riding for about couple years now, and my average on flat over 120km(75mi) is about 28kph(17.5mph), without wind
, with couple stops in between.

I feel like my performance has been stagnant for way too long time, and I feel worried to go on racings and events. (I heard collegiate cat5 goes avg ~25mph which seems too fast for me to hold)
Is there a good way to start training?

I would like to go on both pace-y racings and longer endurance events like gran fondo.

so would it be better to start training on speed first then endurance? or should I put in more miles as much as possible?

Hope to get something here, though this post seems to be too everywhere touching every subjects out there.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Find a group ride. Join it. Get dropped. Get fitter. Do the dropping.

Find a faster group ride. Repeat.

Find a racing team or a group ride with people that race. Repeat.

Basically: group rides. As many as you can find initially until you get a good one.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Joe Friel. Maybe not perfect, but not a bad place to start.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Agree with the group rides and Friel book. Power meter as soon as you can to measure progress.

I doubt most collegiate cat 5 average speeds are 25mph. In fact, you should doubt most average speeds unless someone is posting the ride data.

Average speed doesn't tell you a whole lot outside of time trials. One of my faster average speeds in a road race was with minimal effort on my part. One of my slowest average speeds was probably the most effort I have ever put out in a race. Regardless, road races and crits are often based on surges and staying in the lead group.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts