Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring is almost here and I realize how much I miss training and racing. It's been 5 years, a new wife and 2 kids since I was part of the peloton. I've ridden some over the last couple of years, but not as much as I would like. I'm now 45 but when I was in my late
30s and early 40s I was very competive in Masters races. I'm only about 10 pounds over my former race weight and I know I could get back to being competitve again. Lately I've been having vivid dreams about racing and riding. My question is how to get started again.

·
The Right Wing
843 Posts
Join a club! Where are you? Folks here will point you to a club with a good racing program and some old farts, I mean masters.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Action.

Congratulations on your newly found passion for cycling! I had a similar family situation, which I cherished also, but like you, I felt the urge to return to cycling. I started again in 2002, and just started short spinning rides, 45 minutes or so, increasing time by 10% to 15% every week. The extra pounds came off swiftly, and I am riding better and smarter now, at 46, than when I was 26! I am commited to avid cycling for its multiple benefits: boosting of immune system- preventing diseases from a common cold to cancer-, weight control, increased serotonin and endomorphin levels- translates to feeling better, a natural "high" in life, no dependance on high blood pressure medicines- saved $600.00/yr, that I can use to take the kids camping, etc., improved self-esteem and stress management at work, and on and on. You seem to be in the action stage of change. Now you need to develop your plan. Did you use to train alone or with others. How did you get to the competitive level you mentioned? Did you use a coach? I would try to train in whatever form or style that was most beneficial for me previously. The 10 extra pounds may perhaps slow you down a bit, but not for long, if you persist in discipline and commitment. It works for us in our 40's, or anyone willing.
Peloton007 said:
Spring is almost here and I realize how much I miss training and racing. It's been 5 years, a new wife and 2 kids since I was part of the peloton. I've ridden some over the last couple of years, but not as much as I would like. I'm now 45 but when I was in my late
30s and early 40s I was very competive in Masters races. I'm only about 10 pounds over my former race weight and I know I could get back to being competitve again. Lately I've been having vivid dreams about racing and riding. My question is how to get started again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts