Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i was changing a broken brake cable and as i was pushing the cable out the part inside the shift/brake lever that holds the end of the brake cable came out and one of the washers fell down inside the hood and i could not get it out or see it but now the lever wont seat all the way so i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to disassemble the lever to try and find the washer to get it to seat all the way if disassembly is possible. This all took place on a front brake/derialleur 105 9 speed lever.

thanks everyone

marshall

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,336 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Take a look at Leonard Zinn's book, Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintainence.
FWIW IIRC, he only discusses campy overhaul, as opening a sh*man0 lever voids the warranty.

still, it's a lead notheless.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,951 Posts
Try the Shimano website

Taking it apart is easy, putting it back together is the hard part. I took an RSX shifter apart a few years back. I think there's a bolt underneath the front cap, but there are some springs and stuff the can be tricky to put back in the right place, so pay attention when it comes apart. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Best of luck!

We were trying to fix a buddy's older RSX shifter and had a similar, but slightly worse problem. It ended badly, and ended up being the straw-that-broke-the-back to go 10-speed. Those Shimano shifters, there are those who will say they can take 'em apart and rebuild them, but, wow. I don't know that any amount of practice would let me do it.

Campy ones -- I was mostly the observer in the last rebuild but it was a lot more do-able.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration!

hfc said:
Taking it apart is easy, putting it back together is the hard part. I took an RSX shifter apart a few years back. I think there's a bolt underneath the front cap, but there are some springs and stuff the can be tricky to put back in the right place, so pay attention when it comes apart. Good Luck!
I decided that my chrome single speed bike was just too good of a frame to be left sitting idle so much. The places I want to ride have too many hills which sort of discourages me to aggravate a persistent knee tendonitis problem by riding hills ss. So since the frame really is a touring type frame I decided to re- gear it and use it as a commuter/tourer bike. I had all sorts of parts sitting about and decided to use a solid old 7 speed triple drivetrain that is not in use. Could not decide which shift mechanism to use; DT, barend friction (index is broke), or RSX triple (problem with the right shifter). I started shopping to replace the right shifter, did not think i could fix it without destroying it. Was getting discouraged when the only thing I could see was Sora for $116 or so, more than I really wanted to put into the old bike. Then was thinking index on the bar ends, $55 or so. Maybe I could get lucky and find a right RSX!! No luck. Okay, lets take one more look at the RSX to see if I can work this out.

The problem is the shifter cable end somehow got beyond the stop inside of the shifter. In looking inside the shifter, I can see that it went over the top of the stop. The thing is slotted at the top, the cable became slack in the shifter while I was changing a few things on the bike and when i tried to shift to the correct position to adjust, the cable went over the top through the slot and was now stuck inside the shifter with no way for me to return it to its normal position in the stop. So I took the front end off and the spring up their came out but I could see and understand how it went back in. Next I pried open a small gap in the shifter housing which cracked the cast housing a bit but did not destroy it or any of the internal works. I opened up enough space to get the cable end out, put the spring and front casing back together. I shifted it up and down without a cable just to see if it would work smooth. I could easily feel and count the 6 clicks up and down. I put a cable in and pulled it tight and it ratcheted each amount of cable just like it is supposed to do and let it back out also. The bottom line is i think i fixed the problem without completely breaking it. If it is broke, well i guess I'll have to shop for some Soras if I want index shifting on the ole 7 speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.