Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How exactly do you tell? I have a set of Vredestein Fortezza SE I bought from performancebike.com but I have no idea how to tell if a bike tire has been worn out? What should I look for? All my other tires have been punctured to death long before they were worn out...these tires have never been flatted.

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
when they're nice and square and have fabric cord showing.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
If the cords are showing the tire should've been replaces 500-1000km ago.

·
Registered
21,540 Posts
Not really

davidka said:
If the cords are showing the tire should've been replaces 500-1000km ago.
Continental puts wear indicators in their GP4000 tires. When the wear indicators disappear, you can just start to see casing threads coming through the tread rubber. Continental disagrees with you. Also, how would you know, 1000 km in advance, that casing threads would appear after 1000 km more riding? IME a lot of people throw out tires well before they are worn out, saying "they're WAY squared off" and such, without a clue as to how many more km/miles the tire could be ridden.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been using Fortezza SE tires for a number of years. They are way cheaper (I've gotten them for as little as $18 on sale with a team discount in quantity) than the Michelin Axial Pro's I had used in the past and last much longer. As the front tire hardly wears I don't rotate. I do keep an eye on the front tire. If it "squared off" or is on the bike for way long (15,000+ miles or five years, etc.) I'd take it off and use it as a rear tire. You want a good reliable tire on the front for safety. As for rear tires, I have used 3 indicators: a) if I start getting lots of flats ("Three in a row and out" is an old maxim) I'll ditch a worn looking tire even if it otherwise looks like I could get a few more miles out of it; b) if I see casing showing I replace it immediately; c) if the tread is squared off rather than rounded I'll often get rid of it. This is because I don't want to try getting the last mile out of a tire and chance a long walk. Also, I find that a nice new tire rides so much nicer than a squared off tire at the end of its life that I'm willing to let it go before fabric shows. Using this system I get 2,500 - 3,000 miles on these tires (I don't ride in the rain and don't skid stop), probably more like 4,000 if you figure in mileage/wear on both front and rear tires.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts