Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been using Fortezza SE tires for a number of years. They are way cheaper (I've gotten them for as little as $18 on sale with a team discount in quantity) than the Michelin Axial Pro's I had used in the past and last much longer. As the front tire hardly wears I don't rotate. I do keep an eye on the front tire. If it "squared off" or is on the bike for way long (15,000+ miles or five years, etc.) I'd take it off and use it as a rear tire. You want a good reliable tire on the front for safety. As for rear tires, I have used 3 indicators: a) if I start getting lots of flats ("Three in a row and out" is an old maxim) I'll ditch a worn looking tire even if it otherwise looks like I could get a few more miles out of it; b) if I see casing showing I replace it immediately; c) if the tread is squared off rather than rounded I'll often get rid of it. This is because I don't want to try getting the last mile out of a tire and chance a long walk. Also, I find that a nice new tire rides so much nicer than a squared off tire at the end of its life that I'm willing to let it go before fabric shows. Using this system I get 2,500 - 3,000 miles on these tires (I don't ride in the rain and don't skid stop), probably more like 4,000 if you figure in mileage/wear on both front and rear tires.

Bob

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.