Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know how to touch-up a scratch in black anodized handlebars? I put some new bars on my commuter last night and some d-bag on the train put a scratch on 'em this morning. Not that they won't eventually get scratched but c'mon, the first day? Was thinking of trying a Sharpie but thought I'd check with the all-knowing Forum first.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
crestlinefarm said:
Anybody know how to touch-up a scratch in black anodized handlebars? I put some new bars on my commuter last night and some d-bag on the train put a scratch on 'em this morning. Not that they won't eventually get scratched but c'mon, the first day? Was thinking of trying a Sharpie but thought I'd check with the all-knowing Forum first.
I'd go the Sharpie route myself.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Sharpie is a quick fix, but IMO/IME the worst choice. Sharpie ink will fade rapidly and turn purple in a couple of days. I scratched my stem, went to an autoparts store and found a matte black that matches fairly well. You don't notice it unless you're looking for it.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Flat black paint is good, I just checked out my AL bars and stem that have only 1200 miles on them... my sweat is so corrosive that it's popping of the anodizing on both!

·
Militant commuter
943 Posts
I second the Birchwood Casey recommendation -- while I've never used it on bike parts (scratches are inevitable on my commuter), it really does the trick on aluminum gun parts!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.