Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Gary fisher superfly mountain bike with a rigid carbon fork. I'd like to put road bars, road hydro shifters connected to the xtr calipers. The drivetrain is xtr 3 x 9. I'd like change the drivetrain to a 2 x 11.

My hold up is what cranks to use that will fit mtb bb.

·
Registered
943 Posts
What is your BB width? Just get a crank that fits that. Also, mountain bikes have longer top tubes than road. You may not be able to get a short enough stem for it. Check before doing the conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
217 Posts
Any recent Shimano road crank should work with the BB, assuming it's the current Shimano external cup design (which I think it is on that bike). If not, and it's a threaded BB, an Ultegra BB is like $15. The issue you're going to run into with a road crank is chainring clearance. You can space the crank out a little with BB spacers, but that'll probably screw up the chainline. A CX crank may fit more easily. If you meant that you want to switch it to a 2x MTB drivetrain, then there won't be any issues there. You can always run a road cassette to get a little bit more top end as well (11t vs 12t on the MTB).

I'm also not sure if you can use MTB calipers with road levers. I'm pretty sure you can't, but I haven't researched very much. You may have the bite the bullet there and get a set of hydraulic road levers/brakes, or if you want to save a little cash, regular road cable shifters and BB7 (S) Road mechanical discs. They don't work as well, but are a bit less expensive.

Then there is the issue of the long top tube that's been mentioned. It can be overcome with a short stem and saddle adjustment, maybe, so it's not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I can't comment on Shimano, but Sram's road and mtb calipers are interchangable. So, it's possible that it'll work? I don't know if you can find out if the hydraulic "cable pull" or piston displacement is the same.

Having just converted a mtb to road, and tried but just failed fitting a compact crank on it, you might be relegated to a mtb crankset depending on your clearance. I used a trekking crankset that was a triple 48/36/26, you could do something like that and just ignore the granny.

Here's another similar thread fwiw

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/litespeed-merlin/26-pisgah-700c-gravel-bike-361005.html

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hadn't thought about the longer top tube. I'm thinking of going 1 x 11 now. Would like to go with Di2 with hydro road shifters mated to a Di2 xtr rear derailleur. I think they will work together as long as there's no front derailleur. That should eliminate the crankset issues.

·
Registered
217 Posts
1x11 Di2 would be cool. My 26er to 700c build is going to be 105 5800/XT 1x11 (38t or 40t if it'll fit, 11-28 out back). Not the most range in the world, but plenty for most anything.

The 'correct' answer is to do what aclinjury said, and just get a CX frame to build up... but where's the fun in that? There are plenty of people who ride drop bar 29ers with no issue. Short stems, sure, but whatever. I was going to drop bar my Lynskey Ridgeline (29er HT), but it's just too good of an MTB to bastardize. Luckily, 700x35s fit the 26" Litespeed Pisgah that I had hanging in the garage. We'll see how it goes.

I have a search saved on eBay for a used LeMond Poprad frame though. I used to have one, but the frame cracked. The warranty replacement Crockett just wasn't the same.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's just a fun project for me really.

the last thing i need is another bike, but to change one up a bit, yea i could get into that.

just gotta confirm roadie shifters will play nice with mtb derailleur in Di2.

if i have to buy new calipers so be it, although i would like to tie shifters into my existing ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts