Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting a bike (used) with di2 and I am wondering how the electronics will fair up on a roof rack in a driving rain at highway speeds? Anyone ever have any issues with this? Should I wrap them before or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks

·
Registered
20,800 Posts
I'm getting a bike (used) with di2 and I am wondering how the electronics will fair up on a roof rack in a driving rain at highway speeds? Anyone ever have any issues with this? Should I wrap them before or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks
You're worrying about nothing. I built my Di2 bike specifically to ride in the rain/winter.

Ultegra Di2 Electronic Shifting - Ride Review, Video & Tech Report - Bikerumor
As for mud and water, the system is (for all practical purposes) waterproof. In fact, Shimano says they’ve completely submerged the Di2 system at 10m (~33 feet) and it still worked. Real world application: Riding in the rain won’t hurt it. Putting your bike on a roof rack and driving in the rain at 80mph won’t hurt it, either.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You're worrying about nothing. I built my Di2 bike specifically to ride in the rain/winter.

Ultegra Di2 Electronic Shifting - Ride Review, Video & Tech Report - Bikerumor
As for mud and water, the system is (for all practical purposes) waterproof. In fact, Shimano says they’ve completely submerged the Di2 system at 10m (~33 feet) and it still worked. Real world application: Riding in the rain won’t hurt it. Putting your bike on a roof rack and driving in the rain at 80mph won’t hurt it, either.
Good to know. I wondered about this as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.