Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the thread on Merckx got me thinking about how well my bike fits. It feels pretty good now, but I want some honest advice/suggestions on how I might be able to tweak my setup (saddle fore and aft position, height, stem length and height etc.) so it's as customized to me as it can be. I know it's difficult to tell much from a photo.

Here's a recent pic of me on my main ride:

Thanks!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Judging by your left leg, your seat could be slightly higher ... not much though ... maybe it is just the picture angle. It's hard to tell. When you look down at the front, can you see your front hub or do your handlebars block the view?

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
To me, the saddle seems too high. With the crank not anywhere near bottom dead center, your left knee angle is already 150 degrees. For most riders, a knee angle range of 145-155 degrees at crank bottom dead center is the standard recommendation for the initial setup. (Some coaches express knee angle at 180 minus x, so they would say 30 degrees instead of 150 degrees here.) Lowering your saddle will make you feel as if you lost power at first, but give it a try for a week. You might actually gain power by being able to pedal smoother through the bottom of the stroke. Keep in mind, though, that my recommendation is based on one photograph only, so don't put all that much stock into it. :)

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bwhite_4 said:
Judging by your left leg, your seat could be slightly higher ... not much though ... maybe it is just the picture angle. It's hard to tell. When you look down at the front, can you see your front hub or do your handlebars block the view?
I see the hub and it's behind the handlebars when I place my hand on the flat horizontal part of the handlebars. When I stretch out to the hoods of the brake levers part of the hub becomes obscured by the handlebars but not all of it.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Forget the front hub thing, it's ancient lore and of little or no value nowadays. There was never any agreement on when you should not see your hub—head held high or low, on drops, on hoods, bike on trainer, on the road easy pedaling, on the road under full power. Horizontally, your position looks good to me, so the bike appears to fit you well. You could put a little more bend into your elbow when you're putting out the power, but that's just quibbles.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. I usually have more bend in the ole elbows. Guess I just tensed up for the picture.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
BuckeyeBiker said:
I'm in Jacksonville for 12 weeks this summer, but I'll be back in Columbus this fall.
yeah...enjoy your last summer off for 3 more years..... (off of school at least)

BTW....my daughter THINKS she knows who you are.....lol

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Take all the seat height comments with a grain of salt, there is a very wide acceptable range and the only expert on how much leg extension you should have is ultimately you.

I would ask yourself how frequently you find yourself using your drops. Your position to the hoods looks quite aggressive/low (if it's comfortable to you then don't worry about it) and if you don't often use your drops then you're essentially "wasting" a hand position and should consider raising your bar so that you're using all of it and have a greater range of usable positions.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been thinking about raising my bar height by flipping the stem over. Maybe I'll take my bike in to a local shop and have them look at it tomorrow.

I very rarely use the drops so you've given me something to think about...

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, but I'm not riding that bike any more as I was in an accident that totaled the bike. Actually, I'm not riding much of anything right now until I get my new bike built in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If you can swing it, there is a fitting center in Pittsburgh called UPMC Cycling
Performance. I guess 167 miles is a bit much. They use lasers to measure
everything. Costs $75.00. I just think it is a much better idea to have an
independent professional who has done countless fittings and can watch
(and understand how to evaluate) you on the bike. Just too much involved
and the stakes are too high to try to do-it-yourself.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
scott h said:
If you are in Jax. Go to Open Road Bicycles...Hendricks location. Talk to Scott Summey....nice guy.
Been there, done that. I'm back in Columbus now with a new bike...so all is good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.