Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not talking about political, spiritual, physical or financial power. I'm talking wattage.

I need a 25-50 kilowatt continuous demand generator on a trailer. Diesel, maybe propane powered. Water cooled. If the price is right, I'd buy, if not, I'll need to rent one for two weeks at the end of the summer to power a small village in the desert. The village has the following power requirements: an industrial margarita slushee machine, dozens of neon transformers, a few wirefeed welders, some power tools, loads of christmas lights, a couple of small air conditioners, a small stage, a small lounge sized sound system, a couple of RVs and busses with umbilical systems, a pump for an improvised shower, and miscellaneous battery chargers.

25 kw should do it, but 50 would rock. Anyone have a line?

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what we rented last year. It worked flawlessly although it could've been a little quieter. We constructed a sound barrier around it.

Our group's been renting similar units for the last six years. In that time, we could've paid for one of these. I'm going to start up a fundraising effort to try and buy one, we're associated with a non-profit so donations could be tax deductable.

Did you end up purchasing one? Ever see one of these used yet in serviceable condition?

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
thinkcooper said:
That's exactly what we rented last year. It worked flawlessly although it could've been a little quieter. We constructed a sound barrier around it.

Our group's been renting similar units for the last six years. In that time, we could've paid for one of these. I'm going to start up a fundraising effort to try and buy one, we're associated with a non-profit so donations could be tax deductable.

Did you end up purchasing one? Ever see one of these used yet in serviceable condition?
Didn't end up purchasing, didn't even rent as the gig fell through but heard that used ones are to be had in good cond if you're lucky...Buy one for the playa, 16g's ain't what it used to be.....they make a 50kw for 25k......

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Starliner said:
Not yet on a trailer, but it's more pop than you're asking for...

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/tls/139030484.html
I'm probably gonna build the trailer and perhaps the enclosure as well. It looks like skid plate generators are anywhere from 5-7K cheaper than the same version with a trailer. I've got all the steel I need to build a towable platform capable of supporting a 3000 pound gennie.

The intergrated sound enclosures do a mediocre job, we've always built a plywood box around the generators to act as a sound barrier. The box surrounds also keep tampering to a minimum.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
I never went but one of my roomates used to go. People that go there are cool.:cool: :cool: :cool:
If you look up cool in the dictionary, there's a picture of Coop.:D

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
What about three or four 10K generators set up with a grid? Does the slushy need to run 24/7? A honda 10K is about $2400 and is gasoline powered. Probably pretty quiet. I will ask my brother-in-law this week if he is going back. He said that he would never go back again unless he was part of a larger group. Anyone need a telecommunication super genius with an inside line to Levi's products? He also enjoys music with screaming and knows the words to just about every song that Bruce S has written. He plays blues harmonica as well. Any takers?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts