Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Not as calmly as that cyclist did who for some reason chose to remain there and be subjected to this abuse while the other rider was silently taping the incident.

Regardless of the "share the road" or "use the whole lane" liberties, I never ride in the middle of the lane blocking traffic if I could ride on the right side and allow traffic to go around me. Also when in group we ride single file for this reason. To me, it's a common courtesy to others and I consider it as infuriating as watching this clip to see a group of cyclists taking the whole lane having a string of cars piling up behind them IF there are other options available.

Reactions: PBL450

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
take the lane if you can keep up with traffic and traffic signals.

the video age is great. there are now consequences for this type of insane, angry behavior.

glad the local news picked this up, tracked down, and embarrassed this violent clown.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Not that it makes it ok but the driver has since publicly apologized. Got to give him credit for that.
You have to question his sincerity. He was wearing a Jack Dunn Window Cleaning shirt, which to me suggests he was an employee, and that business got a slew of negative reviews after this video surfaced.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
You have to question his sincerity. He was wearing a Jack Dunn Window Cleaning shirt, which to me suggests he was an employee, and that business got a slew of negative reviews after this video surfaced.
Point taken. I was just throwing that out there because I think if we want respect we need to lead by example is all. I can rage as bad as the next but, I forgive quickly as well.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Not as calmly as that cyclist did who for some reason chose to remain there and be subjected to this abuse while the other rider was silently taping the incident.

Regardless of the "share the road" or "use the whole lane" liberties, I never ride in the middle of the lane blocking traffic if I could ride on the right side and allow traffic to go around me. Also when in group we ride single file for this reason. To me, it's a common courtesy to others and I consider it as infuriating as watching this clip to see a group of cyclists taking the whole lane having a string of cars piling up behind them IF there are other options available.
I would like to think that I had the emotional ability to ride away, thats the intelligent-sensible thing to do..

It too worries me that some of our comrades take the whole lane when they could safely share the road. There are guys on our group rides that hug the center line on two lane roads,, its foolish, it impedes traffic and invites these types of interactions.. We need to be safe but also respectful of others.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The cyclist handled it correctly. But somebody sticking their hands & face that close to my face might get helmet headbutted.

Huckleberry? WTH is that?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I would like to think that I had the emotional ability to ride away, thats the intelligent-sensible thing to do..

It too worries me that some of our comrades take the whole lane when they could safely share the road. There are guys on our group rides that hug the center line on two lane roads,, its foolish, it impedes traffic and invites these types of interactions.. We need to be safe but also respectful of others.
Precisely!

There are instances where "bossing" the lane is the safer thing to do but if there is able space for cars to safely overtake you or there are no other road hazards present then letting them do so is the right thing to do.
Yes, we are entitled to equal road use but we should not loose in the process our common sense and our courteous behavior to others.

Reactions: n2deep

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Precisely!

There are instances where "bossing" the lane is the safer thing to do but if there is able space for cars to safely overtake you or there are no other road hazards present then letting them do so is the right thing to do.
Yes, we are entitled to equal road use but we should not loose in the process our common sense and our courteous behavior to others.
Couldnt agree more. Posted that many times. Thanks!

I have a hard time with how I'd react... I'd love to remain as calm as that guy and let it blow over, that's the right answer... I know that. I haven't had that happen, fortunately. I've had one super aggressive guy get out his pickup, but it's a single incident. I try to stay focused on my ride, my goals, my own little world. I communicate, I'm courteous... I do make mistakes sometimes and I do take the lane when I need to. But I ride a lot at peak traffic times so I try to stay out of people's way that are going home from work and the like. I try not to even let close passes and jerky driving even enter into my thinking on a ride. I'm often successful, but not always.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I always just say thank you and wave at the people who are yelling at me. I keep waving for a long, long time.

It happens about twice every summer.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.