Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I started racing, it is very expensive for me to replace my busted DA parts. The current DA drivetrain is really worn at 20k miles of races and training and I am thinking off changing the whole group.

Any of you guys using the new 105s? Ultegra has always been known as the best performance to dollar group but I find the new 105 a bit better looking. :eek: And of course slightly cheaper.

So is the 105 good enuff for the racer or should I go ultegra?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I know you're specifically asking about the 10-speed 105 group, which I have no experience with... but I feel compelled to reply, since you've gotten no responses as of yet!

I do have experience with the 105 9-speed group. After switching to Ultegra and then on to DA, I would never go back to 105. The shifting is so clunky and the delay seems to be so long compared to the higher end groups. I might go back to Ultegra if I had to, but never 105. I'm so spoiled with DA... The shifting is smooth like butter!

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
I use mix and match

from 9 speed 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace. So no clue about 10 speeder...

I simply follow the rule of replacing parts when needed with the available deal according to my degree of weight weenieness... (!!!) Do you know the difference between an Ultegra and 105 crankset? (please don't tell me, dear reader, that you "flex" my cheap 2001 Octalink 105 cranks!)

For example: I don't think my front derailleur is really wearing out. And 105 is definitely plenty good for this purpose. But I can find great deal on D-A cassettes that will save me lots of weight for the money.

This way I ended up with 105 cranks, brakes, shifters and levers. Ultegra bottom bracket, training cassette and hubs. Dura-Ace racing cassette and hubs. SRAM PC99 hollow pin chain.

How does this relate to your question? Well: 1) Shimano 105 is plenty enough for racing. No complains there. 2) you could start with this gruppo and eventually upgrade the parts that count. 3) don't feel insecure because of the material you use.

When you are limited on the funds available to ride: better ride lots and find money to get to the races than to spent too much for a gram here and there and a crisp shifter, only to ride around the block on top gear! (not to say people who swear by top gear don't ride... you get my point)

I am far from rich, but I can afford dura-ace all the way. Yet, I find it ridiculous for the price difference compared to the excellent performance of "lesser" gruppos. I prefer to change my cables and chain often (2500-3000 kilometers for a chain, 12 months for cable set).

Plus: you can always blame your cheap gruppo when you climb into the broom wagon. Can't do that on D-A can you?

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
I'm into my third year on 9 speed 105 and while it's not as clean
and smooth as Ultegra or Dura-Ace it does the job and does it
well - I rarely every have drivetrain problems except in the first
500 miles on the bike it threw the chain a couple time due to
it being out of adjustment - it works great now.

I'd love to try 10 speed but would probably go for Ultegra but if
the 10 speed 105 is light enough and strong enough, go for it.

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
Vinokourov said:
Ever since I started racing, it is very expensive for me to replace my busted DA parts. The current DA drivetrain is really worn at 20k miles of races and training and I am thinking off changing the whole group.

Any of you guys using the new 105s? Ultegra has always been known as the best performance to dollar group but I find the new 105 a bit better looking. :eek: And of course slightly cheaper.

I find it every time I look at my Tarmac! :rolleyes:

Seriously, the 105 stuff works perfectly well. I have been riding it for four months now with absolutely NO malfunctions. It shifts crisply, but not quite as crisply as Ultegra or DA. The difference being that the 105 makes a louder noise when shifting than the more expensive grouppos. When adjusted properly, it shifts just as quickly as DA.

Amazingly enough Shimano managed to retain the rather annoying rattle over choppy pavement from the 9 spd 105. How they could do that with a completely new design escapes me.

The 105 has 95% of the performance of DA with about half the price. Yes, it weighs a bit more, and may not last quite as long, but for me, anything more is just showing off.

I like the titanium finish.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Vinokourov said:

According to tests of German "Tour" magazine 10-sp 105 is better then 10-sp Ultegra for most parts and for some parts even better then DA. The only drawbacks, as far as I can remember (I have not that issue on hand right now), are weight (if it matters) and softer chainrings (wich means faster wear). Supposedly, bearing quality is lower as well, but it was not tested.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
al0 said:
According to tests of German "Tour" magazine 10-sp 105 is better then 10-sp Ultegra for most parts and for some parts even better then DA. The only drawbacks, as far as I can remember (I have not that issue on hand right now), are weight (if it matters) and softer chainrings (wich means faster wear). Supposedly, bearing quality is lower as well, but it was not tested.
I just reread the same article and it says nowhere that the 105 is better than Ultegra or Dura-Ace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts