Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What's happening with my career?

• They trust me with the crucial P.M. drive time.

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • The morning guy won't get up at 3:30 a.m. anymore.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • It's the first step toward the door: Career almost over

• Afternoon detention.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of next Tuesday, I will have been doing a morning talk show for a year (I fell into it after my newspaper bought me out). Yesterday the program director called me in and said I'm moving from 10-noon to 4-6 p.m. The old 6-10a.m. guy is taking my slot, and we'll have a syndicated show at his old time.
I know zip about programming, ratings, all that stuff. I just show up and talk, and I like being done by noon. So what does this mean?

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
That's PM drive dude. One of the more coveted slots, right after AM drive.

They think you've got chops. Keep running with what got you this slot.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
At least rush hour will be over before you are. Roads should be clear for the ride home.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnnyTooBad said:
That's great! Two hours a day? I want your job (seriously)
It was great until the 50-percent pay cut. Seriously, when the econ went into the dumper, they cut the full-time people by 5 percent but asked me, as the only part-timer, if I'd "consider" a big cut "temporarily." I could stay home and start drawing Social Security and get a raise, but we don't really need the money right now and they've made promises for later.
Still not bad considering my skill set, though. The only other things I can do are work on bikes and pump gas, and those don't pay even as well as half a radio job.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Well the thing is you built an audience at a time slot when most folks are working. Now they are moving you to a time slot where you are going to be something that folks listen to as they wait to hear the traffic.

More listeners, shorter attention span.

Still, I think it is a good thing.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Lifestyle challenges notwithstanding, it's an up.

It's probably time to find someone that knows the biz and can talk it on your behalf.

Unless your studio resembles this.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
What in the heck do you talk about for two hours?

Plus, my guess is your actual time investment is a lot more than 2 hours a day...

Still, good for you. We'll be your groupies.

Btw, do you have a "Roz Doyle" or are you your own wench?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Does your station have internet steaming so we can listen?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts