Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife & me are considering relocating to Chicagoland area. Of course I can't go if the biking scene isn't good. How's the scene out there? How's the traffic/ The motorists/ how many lights can I expect for a 30 mile ride???:skep:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really have no idea yet. My wife & I just started talking about it this eve. She's never been through the area, I have and I know it's a HUGE metro area. For now I'll listen to any advice/input.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you go to the Lemont area or southwest burbs you will be fine. If your talking chicago, you will hate it. There are people and cars and stop lights every 10 feet. The western burbs are fine though. We have hundred mile loops with hardly any lights. Heading out today on one of them. Good luck

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I moved here form Los Angeles (Orange County actually) three years ago and love it. I am in the Far West suburbs though and can ride hundreds of miles and not find any stop lights. I am in Geneva if you want to check the area out just to get an idea. I think I have been to the city once. If you want to go its just a short ride on the train and you are there. They do allow bikes on the train so I hear it is nice if you want to take a slow ride on the lakeshore.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
A from Il said:
I moved here form Los Angeles (Orange County actually) three years ago and love it. I am in the Far West suburbs though and can ride hundreds of miles and not find any stop lights. I am in Geneva if you want to check the area out just to get an idea. I think I have been to the city once. If you want to go its just a short ride on the train and you are there. They do allow bikes on the train so I hear it is nice if you want to take a slow ride on the lakeshore.
And by "slow ride" he really means slow. It's not even rideable in the summer during the daytime.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I used to live on the NW side of the city (Bucktown). I used to ride north out of the city into the northern suburbs. It would take me about 30 minutes to get out of the city to the 'burbs. Stoplights weren't too bad, and most drivers try to give you enough room, when they can.

The lakefront path from about Fullerton south to the McCormick Covention Center can be deadly (literally) in the summertime. People walking all over the place, not paying attention, stopping right in front of you, etc. I almost hit a little girl once - her parents weren't paying attention and she decided to run across the path, right in front of me. Took me about a mile to calm down. Once you get passed McCormick heading south, the path will clear up. Same for heading north once you get passed Fullerton.

I also lived in the western 'burbs (La Grange, Clarendon Hills). The riding was good, especially if I headed south and got on the frontage roads, but if you want any type of night life and good restaurants, you need to live in the city. That's about the only thing I miss about Chicago - the hole-in-the-wall, mom-and-pop ethnic restaurants. From our apartment (we lived on the top floor of a renovated funeral home), we could walk to about 7 or 8 different ethnic restaurants within a 5-block radius.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm glad I now live in Boulder County where the opinion of cyclists seems to be contrary of the Chicagoland area. That being said, Chicago itself seems to be trying hard to be a more bike-friendly city.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you mean Boulder County CO? If so, I can't speak for that part of CO, but I was in Denver for 6 years & have a very close friend in CO Springs; the scene in Boulder & CO Springs is absolutly increadible. I know a little about Boulder's road bike culture. How would your part of Chicagoland compare to that?

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
its ok. there are lots of cluns scattered throughout, but there doesnt seem to be any cohesion. if you are looking at doing lots of riding, the closer to the WI border you get, the better. or the further West.

fwiw, just this past week i ran into two riders i have never seen before. both within three miles of my house.
ed or brian, if youre out there let me know.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah, if you wanna eat in Chicago, bring a heavy check book. If you park next to a meter, bring 2 rolls of quaters. Lakefront riding with the wife/girlfriend, wear blinders, cause you will go blind or divorced. Nice people driving in the city? Now that was funny....

·
Registered
778 Posts
Dank said:
Yeah, if you wanna eat in Chicago, bring a heavy check book. If you park next to a meter, bring 2 rolls of quaters. Lakefront riding with the wife/girlfriend, wear blinders, cause you will go blind or divorced. Nice people driving in the city? Now that was funny....
Sounds like your opinion of the city is from downtown. If you eat at the restaurants in the Loop then, yes, you will pay a lot. However, as I said, my wife ate primarily at the smaller restaurants in the neighborhoods (Bucktown, Wicker Park) - which are no more expensive then the restaurants in Boulder, CO.

As far nice drivers, I had more drivers in the suburbs honking, yelling at me to get off the road then I did in the city. I had a driver come up to me at the intersection of Holmes Ave and 55th St in Clarendon Hills and proceed to tell me bikes belonged on the sidewalks. And those incidents we're recently read about? On St. Marys - in the northern suburbs.

However, you are correct - blinders are needed on the lakefront path if riding with the wife/girlfriend - lots of scenery, especially at the North Ave. and Oak St. beaches.

·
Registered
778 Posts
jpdigital said:
Do you mean Boulder County CO? If so, I can't speak for that part of CO, but I was in Denver for 6 years & have a very close friend in CO Springs; the scene in Boulder & CO Springs is absolutly increadible. I know a little about Boulder's road bike culture. How would your part of Chicagoland compare to that?
Ooops - sorry. Yep, I meant Boulder County, CO. There are more cyclists in and around Boulder, IMO, then in Chicago. That being said, on my route heading north out of the city and into the Northern suburbs, you could see quite a few riders. The far northwest, and western suburbs saw the largest groups of riders (some of my teammates lived in Arlington Heights, Barrington, Crystal Lake).

Boulder County seems to view cyclists as an integral part of the community, especially with a major university there. Chicago, while seeming to try hard to become a bike-friendly city, seems to view cyclists as something to be tolerated. But, as I mentioned in another post in this thread, I've had more issues with drivers in the 'burbs than I did in the city.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
CoffeeBean2 said:
However, you are correct - blinders are needed on the lakefront path if riding with the wife/girlfriend - lots of scenery, especially at the North Ave. and Oak St. beaches.
The wife and myself were puttering down the lakefront path and as I craned my neck to watch the babe in the bikini rollerblade by I managed to catch my front tire in a good sized crack in the concrete. I was lying there in a heap and the good Mrs. stopped, looked down at me in all my glory and asked "So, did she have a nice ass?'.
Uh, yeah!

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
60 degrees plus today. No clouds. Little wind. 40 miles through rolling farmland on the newly rebuilt FG. It couldnt be better. There were not even any cars out there today.:thumbsup:

·
Lexicon Devil
961 Posts
Chicago proper sucks to ride in unless you're into fixed-gears with an Aerospoke up front. I'm happy that I live in the Rogers Park neighborhood and I can escape to Lake County pretty easily. The lakefront path is where I, and many other cyclists, do our weekday training because there are simply few other alternatives within the city limits unless we go to the far southside toward Calumet Park.

The lakefront path is good for fast riding until about 8 AM on warm weekdays, and after that is aswarm with rollerbladers, strollers, and kids. Awful stuff. My commute home today was slow, but that's fine 'cause it was a recovery ride. Most of us competitive riders are out riding by 6:15-6:30 AM in season, just 'cause we have no other alternatives.

Weekends, we're out up to St. Mary's or maybe in the car to Rockford or Madison.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A from Il said:
60 degrees plus today. No clouds. Little wind. 40 miles through rolling farmland on the newly rebuilt FG. It couldnt be better. There were not even any cars out there today.:thumbsup:
PM me and let's ride sometime! I'm in Geneva (east side).

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. 70 today. I ditched work and rode the river trail to Oswego. About 40 miles. Nobody out but a few joggers and the wind.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts