Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's raining here in the SF Bay Area. Hard and then it stops. Then hard and then a break. And then again and again. I can't get anything done outdoors - stuck inside- guess I'll go make a fire.

Is it clear and calm in Dan Siego now?

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Starliner said:
It's raining here in the SF Bay Area. Hard and then it stops. Then hard and then a break. And then again and again. I can't get anything done outdoors - stuck inside- guess I'll go make a fire.

Same here in Saratoga. Did rollers last night. And mounted those easy-on/easy-off blade fenders on my cross bike for saturday and sunday rain rides.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Same here in Saratoga. Did rollers last night. And mounted those easy-on/easy-off blade fenders on my cross bike for saturday and sunday rain rides.
Dude, you can install or remove FULL fenders on a cross bike in about 5 minutes. Go full-on and ride the rain. We've had rain, rain, and more rain up here in Portland (yeah, yeah, it's supposed to rain up here, but it's rained even more than normal) and I'm still out in the rain rolling along. Full fenders are the shizit.

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Partly cloudy, moderately cool with a light on-shore.

Lows at the coast are around 40, mid-day highs are low to mid 60s. All temps warmer inland. Slight chance of rain late Sunday, dunno 'bout next week, but temps will probably be similar unless high pressure builds over the great basin and blows-in a Santa Ana.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Gripped said:
Dude, you can install or remove FULL fenders on a cross bike in about 5 minutes. Go full-on and ride the rain. We've had rain, rain, and more rain up here in Portland (yeah, yeah, it's supposed to rain up here, but it's rained even more than normal) and I'm still out in the rain rolling along. Full fenders are the shizit.
The blades were awesome on the crosser! I loved riding in the rain. Made me feel like a kid again. I went looking for puddles.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
arm,knee warmers early.

when I leave home the canyon I ride through has been around freezing. (this is at 6 AM)
warms up quite nice,light breeze.

things to bring. light windbreaker (better if it has removable sleeves and can turn into a vest) arm and knee warmers. then again those of you from colder climes willcall us sissies as what we deem cold would probably equate to nice autumn day for ya'll

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Here's your 10-day

Starliner said:

Tonight
Jan 18 Partly Cloudy
N/A/50° 20%

Thu
Jan 19 Mostly Sunny
60°/44° 10%

Fri
Jan 20 Mostly Sunny
65°/47° 10%

Sat
Jan 21 Sunny
64°/45° 20%

Sun
Jan 22 Sunny
62°/45° 20%

Mon
Jan 23 Partly Cloudy
64°/44° 20%

Tue
Jan 24 Sunny
62°/45° 20%

Wed
Jan 25 Mostly Sunny
61°/49° 20%

<b>Thu
Jan 26 Few Showers
61°/49° 30%

Fri
Jan 27 Sunny
63°/49° 0% </b>

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
atpjunkie said:
when I leave home the canyon I ride through has been around freezing. (this is at 6 AM)
warms up quite nice,light breeze.

things to bring. light windbreaker (better if it has removable sleeves and can turn into a vest) arm and knee warmers. then again those of you from colder climes willcall us sissies as what we deem cold would probably equate to nice autumn day for ya'll
have we determined ride start times and places for saturday and sunday?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
rides will start

at the parking lot for the Old Town Trolley and train station. about a couple dozen pedal strokes from where most are staying. corner of Taylor and PCH (Pacific Coast Highway)
and don't freakin run the crossing gates if they are down.idiots die here constantly as Amtrak doesn't stop and flies through the station doing 70.

time, that's up to you drinkers. I'm good early. if we start early you can get back in time to be tourists and such.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
atpjunkie said:
at the parking lot for the Old Town Trolley and train station. about a couple dozen pedal strokes from where most are staying. corner of Taylor and PCH (Pacific Coast Highway)
and don't freakin run the crossing gates if they are down.idiots die here constantly as Amtrak doesn't stop and flies through the station doing 70.

time, that's up to you drinkers. I'm good early. if we start early you can get back in time to be tourists and such.
I don't know what others consider early, but I'm usually on the road before the sun comes up. I'd be in favor of starting rides no later than 8:00 a.m.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
mickey-mac said:
I don't know what others consider early, but I'm usually on the road before the sun comes up. I'd be in favor of starting rides no later than 8:00 a.m.
let's say 8 am, that way we'll roll out before 8:30.

sound good?

both days?

what time dinner on saturday night?

i'm going to collate all this and put it in another post, and request it be a "stuck".

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
let's say 8 am, that way we'll roll out before 8:30.

sound good?

both days?

what time dinner on saturday night?

i'm going to collate all this and put it in another post, and request it be a "stuck".
yeah, let's get something in there about people who will be around thursday evening for drinks/dinner and friday morning for riding/breakfast. i already have badley's info. if i remember correctly, len will also be in town thursday some time.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
yeah and if Svend and I can get a head count

and break it daily so we know how many we will need to make plans for for which eve.
like how many th nite?
Fri?
Sat?
8 AM is fab for me. have a route for Sat that is long-ish but has bailouts at train stations so folks can Sag home on the Coaster which provides a beauitiful view and has bike racks.
have stops in mind for food/an or coffee.

I think I'm taking Friday Off so I can ride with folks then as well.

atp

[email protected]

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
atpjunkie said:
and break it daily so we know how many we will need to make plans for for which eve.
like how many th nite?
Fri?
Sat?
8 AM is fab for me. have a route for Sat that is long-ish but has bailouts at train stations so folks can Sag home on the Coaster which provides a beauitiful view and has bike racks.
have stops in mind for food/an or coffee.

I think I'm taking Friday Off so I can ride with folks then as well.

atp

[email protected]
I don't arrive until after 8:30 on thursday night and won't get to the hotel until sometime around 10, so I will probably be in my room putting my bike together to do a friday ride. May hit the hotel bar afterwards.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Yea....

mickey-mac said:
yeah, let's get something in there about people who will be around thursday evening for drinks/dinner and friday morning for riding/breakfast. i already have badley's info. if i remember correctly, len will also be in town thursday some time.
I get in on Wednesday. I'm gonna visit some friends and do some relaxin.

8:00 AM works for me all days.

Let me know what's up for Thursday eve & a Thurs or Fri ride if it's happening.

We ought to take a poll as to who is gonna be where when and exchange cell phone #'s by PM.

Len

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
rain is usually never that bad here

and the storms tend to break upover the channel islands. we've been getting fragments of each storm that has been hammering the rest of the state. this last storm we got about 1/100th of an inch and it came in the middle of the night. for you folks from less temperate areas, think autumn mist.
I'm taking Friday off, Len I bike commute so maybe you can join us for the Th afternoon ride home.

I've posted my email,you use that or PM me for a cell.#

atp (matt)

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
so ya better start sundancing now

as the ceremony takes about a week. are ya both going to pierce the chest and do the back and forth from the pole until your flesh rips or is one of ya going to pierce the back and drag a Buffalo Skull around the circle until similar result is achieved.
I got the eagle bone whistles ready for ya'll.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts