Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of having two wordrobes...especially for commuting to work.
I work in manufacturing and jeans and t-shirts are the norm.
Have you any suggestions for pants that are good for a longish bike ride, then can worn all day at work?
I've been hoping to find something with a seamless crotch and some kind of techie fabric.

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm a big fan of the adidas "climaproof" pants. They're almost windproof, water resistant, and $35 bucks or less. If it's really cold, throw on some longjohns underneath. Plus, you can get them with day-glo stripes, which is great for the road. Put a band around your ankle and you're all set.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked up the Sombraro MTB pants from Chainlove. They have a seam down the center and are cut so that pads can be worn under them. They are basically wide droopy jeans.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've been using MUSA pants from Rivendell and love them. They are made out of a lightweight nylon and fit loose around the legs. They also have a Velcro strap to keep the pants out of the chain.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Door to door; 14+ miles.

The jeans thing is OK...but I chafe after multiple days on the bike.
I've been experimenting with slowing down. I usually race to work, shower, change, eat.
Now while it's still cold, I take it slow...takes an hour+ instead of 45 mins. But, I'm not as hot and sweaty...kind of like a zero sum...time wise.

Maybe I need a bike that is more appropriate, instead of my touring bike.

I like the looks of the MUSA.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Got a bathroom at work?
Wear biking shorts, jeans in a backpack and change at work.
It's crazy enough idea to work.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
What if you left a coverall at work and just brought in socks/underwear every day?

When you arrive at work, change out of your bike clothes and pull on the coverall after a quick wipe down of The Boys.

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
Although not pants, I adore my Portland Cyclewear Messenger Knicks.

The ones I have are a dark-grey. The in-built chamois is a bit like what you'd find in cheap lycra shorts, but perfect for commuting and wearing all day. Yes it's still a little diaper-esque, but the chamois hangs lower when you're not riding. Good thick, stretchy synthetic that feels like cotton. In summer I wear them all day, although we have a very relaxed dress-code unless meeting with clients.

I've also done bike shorts under jeans with the legs rolled up. Only issue is should you sweat too much or get soaked in rain/road grime they don't dry quickly.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
wooglin said:
What's a "longish" bike ride? I commute in regular old Levis with wicking boxers underneath. My commute is 20 minutes, but I can extend to at least an hour with no chafing issues.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who commutes in jeans!! They really are convenient.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You're going to work all day in your dirty biking pants?

Your butt will be pissed!

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
One tough cookie, that Wooglin!

wooglin said:
What's a "longish" bike ride? I commute in regular old Levis with wicking boxers underneath. My commute is 20 minutes, but I can extend to at least an hour with no chafing issues.
After 20 minutes of riding in a pair of Levi's, my arse would look like the freshly ground offerings in the Piggly-Wiggly meat department.

Wow.

·
Registered
394 Posts
seeborough said:
After 20 minutes of riding in a pair of Levi's, my arse would look like the freshly ground offerings in the Piggly-Wiggly meat department.

Wow.
Ditto here. I see a lot of folks in Portland riding bikes in jeans. I don't get it. Maybe they all ride for only three blocks at a time or something.

If I want to avoid the lycra look, I wear cycling shorts or bibs under nylon or softshell running pants. Haven't figured out what I'm going to do in the summer yet.

Scott

·
Squeaky Wheel
36 Posts
If you have a place to shower/change at your work, why not get a backpack or panniers and just bring a change of clothes with you? This is what I do, and it works out well.

·
Squeaky Wheel
36 Posts
zpl said:
If I want to avoid the lycra look, I wear cycling shorts or bibs under nylon or softshell running pants. Haven't figured out what I'm going to do in the summer yet.

Scott
Mountain Bike shorts! Yes they can be worn on a road bike :) and yes they are comfortable (it's what I wear).

·
Registered
158 Posts
I feel this requires a related, but different question- for those of you who -like me- commute in jeans or other non-bike related clothing, ...

What saddle do you use when you commute wearing Jeans?

i.e. I love my titanium rail, carbon shell, super light Flite TT, but I certainly don't commute with it. Ouch! Instead, I use a much heavier, flatter, and more padded Flite Trans-Am (I think I'm the only one in the world that likes that saddle)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts