Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is stemming off of a comment in this thread (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ra...s-need-lose-30lbs-2-months-health-361076.html) and a recommendation was to put the majority of my riding in zone 2. Well, at this point of time its practically impossible for me to do that. I do understand that everyones HR is different and I cant compare to the person next to me but is it normal for someone to ride in a high HR average?

Once I even jump on the bike my HR is normally in the 110s-120s. My zone 2 hr is about 110-130. (Max HR is 188 and resting hr is 62) But, once I pedal for about 5 minutes then Im in the 140s (high zone 3 low zone 4) and my average HR is high zone 4 to low zone 5. And I would like to say that Im not even really pushing it. If I go up a steep hill then Im definitely in the mid 180s.

Im just curious if its normal for others? I did recently have an ekg and echocardiogram done for a different reason and they said everything is fine. Nothing hypertensive or anything bad... but I just find my numbers as skewed to chase zone 2.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Just ride. After you get a few thousand miles in, you will know how your body responds to efforts, fatigue, and recovery. After said few thousand miles, come back and ask questions.

Hr, pwr, etc. don't matter for you now. Ride at whatever hr you feel good at for that ride/day.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Just ride. After you get a few thousand miles in, you will know how your body responds to efforts, fatigue, and recovery. After said few thousand miles, come back and ask questions.

Hr, pwr, etc. don't matter for you now. Ride at whatever hr you feel good at for that ride/day.
I agree. You just need the basics, and that's to burn calories. Don't overthink it.

If you want skewed numbers: I'm 57 and from the typical "220 minus your age" calculation, my max should be 163. But I can't even reach 150. My resting rate is in the 50's. I had an echocardiogram done last week and there are no issues.

You can't lose 30lbs. in 2 months unless most of it is water. The maximum you could lose is 2lbs. per week. Fast weight loss usually results in fast weight gain. Shoot for 1lb. per week and your weight loss will be longer lasting.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
This question is stemming off of a comment in this thread (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ra...s-need-lose-30lbs-2-months-health-361076.html) and a recommendation was to put the majority of my riding in zone 2. Well, at this point of time its practically impossible for me to do that. I do understand that everyones HR is different and I cant compare to the person next to me but is it normal for someone to ride in a high HR average?

Once I even jump on the bike my HR is normally in the 110s-120s. My zone 2 hr is about 110-130. (Max HR is 188 and resting hr is 62) But, once I pedal for about 5 minutes then Im in the 140s (high zone 3 low zone 4) and my average HR is high zone 4 to low zone 5. And I would like to say that Im not even really pushing it. If I go up a steep hill then Im definitely in the mid 180s.

Im just curious if its normal for others? I did recently have an ekg and echocardiogram done for a different reason and they said everything is fine. Nothing hypertensive or anything bad... but I just find my numbers as skewed to chase zone 2.
Your entire 2nd paragraph confuses me. How did you determine your zones if you can't keep your HR in z2 even after 5 minutes? Thinking your zones are off is all I'm getting at. For me I'd find my threshold HR via a test and set zones from that. Never have known anyone to set zones to a theoretical max. Again just my experience...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It will take some time for you to build up cardio fitness.

For now, just ride based on perceived effort. If you are out of breath (couldn't hold a conversation), you are probably riding too hard. At some point, it will start feeling easier, and you can get more standardized numbers.

That said, it might not be a bad idea to have a cardio stress test done and consult with a doctor about how strenuous your efforts should be.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your entire 2nd paragraph confuses me. How did you determine your zones if you can't keep your HR in z2 even after 5 minutes? Thinking your zones are off is all I'm getting at. For me I'd find my threshold HR via a test and set zones from that. Never have known anyone to set zones to a theoretical max. Again just my experience...
I have been using Garmin and Garmin Fenix to calculate my zones based upon HR max and just perform the basic algorithm of percentages for each zone. Nothing very fancy but just really basic.

I am unsure why, for my specific context, my HR shoots up almost 30-40 beats just to start an exercise but that is what it does.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will take some time for you to build up cardio fitness.

For now, just ride based on perceived effort. If you are out of breath (couldn't hold a conversation), you are probably riding too hard. At some point, it will start feeling easier, and you can get more standardized numbers.

That said, it might not be a bad idea to have a cardio stress test done and consult with a doctor about how strenuous your efforts should be.
Migen, so even in "zone 5" riding or my hr is in the 170s... I am able to talk/chat fine. Almost, as if I was "fast walking" in perceived effort. Tbh... majority of my rides I feel, my own perception of effort, is only at 40-60% when my heart rate is averaging in the high 160s to low 170s. The only time I am "truly" out-of-breath is when Im going up hill on a challenging climb.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Perhaps you're spiked with adrenaline as you set out to ride which elevates your heart rate?

Do you feel overly excited when you start your ride?

And now that you think about your heart rate this much related to riding maybe that by itself is setting you off?

Maybe you have an internal mental issue with wanting more than anything to keep your heart rate low when working at a personal mellow perceived effort but the thoughts alone are giving you anxiety.

If you had an EKG done for an entirely different reason you quite possibly have a heart concern always on your mind which in turn is just waiting for you to step on that bike so it can play mind tricks with you.

If nothing is really physically wrong with you at all or at least you think nothing is wrong what others have suggested should do you well which is to just go out and ride. And if it means not even using a heart monitor so be it. You don't "need" to know your heart rate.

And one other piece of advice or suggestion would be... and without knowing you at all or what kind of a person you are pertaining to how hard you like to push yourself while riding, but I'd suggest when starting a ride go out super easy for 10 minutes at least, just cruise and enjoy it.. Then once primed and warm get out of the saddle and give it an all out super strong 30 second burst. Come to a rest for a few minutes then do it again. Really give your heart a reason to elevate. Do that 3 or so times. Then go out and continue your ride as usual.

It just seems you have some mental anxieties with a hard perceived effort so by attacking that "fear" head on it could possibly loosen you up some. And maybe this takes time. It may take weeks or even months but no matter what try and focus on not focusing on your heart rate so much.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I have been using Garmin and Garmin Fenix to calculate my zones based upon HR max and just perform the basic algorithm of percentages for each zone. Nothing very fancy but just really basic.

I am unsure why, for my specific context, my HR shoots up almost 30-40 beats just to start an exercise but that is what it does.
First, I don't think there is anything wrong with you. From what I remember using HR monitors my HR would be around 60-ish just sitting there and easily 100+ a few minutes later warming up easy spinning.

Second, how did you determine max HR? Cause it looks like you enter a number and Fenix dumbs the zones down from there. Point is if you really have no idea what HRmax is then zones are going to be not accurate. Something is way off if Fenix says zone 5 is "sprinting" and you can get your HR into z5 not pushing it. Obviously you are not sprinting so not in zone 5.

Either your Fenix is not registering HR correctly; you are way under estimating HRmax; or some combination thereof...

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
How did you arrive at your MHR?
If it just an age calculation, that is just a guide, not your personal MHR.
If it is not from testing, then your MHR may be a lot higher, which makes it easy for you to get above Z5.

Your HR sounds way high, and I would recommend see a doctor to verify that.
Have you tested using other HR monitors? Yours may be broke.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Your HR sounds way high, and I would recommend see a doctor to verify that.
Have you tested using other HR monitors? Yours may be broke.
188 isn't crazy high. When I was in my early 20s, would average 190 in one hour crits. Many years later, I max out around 185-186. But, max hr doesn't matter. It is really hard to hit and you ain't riding at it. threshold HR is much more meaningful. But, you can get a decent idea of that HR as you get those few thousand miles in.

HR is personal. It changes over time, and with different levels of fitness, fatigue, hydration, etc.

HR is like a tachometer in a car. Just because it goes to 9000 rpm, doesn't tell you anything about how much power the engine makes.

I don't know if it matters, I can pretty much guess my HR within a couple bpm based on perceived exertion. But, I can't guess my power all that accurately on an outside ride based on perceived exertion. Weird b/c I really don't look at HR anymore.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I agree - 188 is not "see a doctor" type of HR.

I'm 40 years old and hit 190 the other day during a hard effort. During my last crit I saw a max of 194.

OP, I do wonder how you arrived at 188 and if that Fenix watch is reading HR values correctly.

If I'm in zone 5 I'm definitely not in a chatting mood.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
188 (or whatever) might or might not be a significantly high max HR (mine is about 180, although I almost never get close to it). However, if, as he stated, the OP is getting that high shorly after getting on the bike, and while just warming up, that seems like it might be worth looking into.

I still think getting a cardio stress test done is a good idea. I mean, you are doing all this cycling and weight loss stuff to improve your health. If you have underlying/undiagnosed heart problems, it might be a good idea to be aware of them and make sure you are dealing with them properly, and under the supervision of a medical professional.

Riding your bike with some doubts about your heart isn't a good place to be. Go get some reassurances and make sure you are in good health if you are experiencing anything that doesn't feel normal to you.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
no doctor, but looks to me that your HR is what it is because you're not fit and overweight.
Once you drop the weight (eat a bit less) and your exercise progresses, your HR will drop, and your HR will also be able to recover faster.

you will also want to keep track of how the HR recovers too. Once you stop pedalling, the HR should start to drop immediately within seconds. I'd be more concerned if you stop pedalling and your HR is still pinned to a high number after you stop pedalling (1-2 minutes at most should be all it takes for HR to drop).

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Not sure were you got your max HR but it's not many folks that ever see their real max because they aren't willing to dig deep enough to find out. Certainly don't use the standard theoretical HR, thats an average with many higher and lower. I'm 60 and see 180 pretty often and 184 on occasion which is well beyond the theoretical for my age.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts