Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is somewhat of a rant, sorry. I'm looking for others experiences and possible solutions with this problem.

I have a Polar S120 HRM and have been very dissatisfied with it. Under certain conditions (which happens to be typical riding, flapping jersey susceptible to static electricity) the HR reading spikes high. I did a search of other threads and found others that have experienced this also, some due to power lines, dog fences, etc. I wonder if some people get these HR spikes and don't know what's causing it, I know some in my riding group didn't understand. If you think this may be an issue with your HRM also, the next time you get an HR spike, just pull your jersey away from you chest or some how stop it from flapping and your true HR will come right back. I searched Polars website and they address this issue but don't have any realistic solutions. This issue becomes very irritating while trying to train at a specific HR and always messes up the average HR. Polar representatives offer no other solutions and, pointed out the "disclaimer" on the website about the issue and basically said get over it and enjoy your $120 paper weight / watch (at least the watch function works). In my opinion this is a weakness in the design that could surely be improved.

OK, here's my questions.

1. Is this issue (spiked high HR readings due to flapping jersey) common to other brands of HRM or any type of HRM chest strap?

2. Are the Polar Wearlink chest straps not susceptible to this or less susceptible?

Thanks for any ideas or input that might help.

· Registered
17 Posts
HRM Interference

greyface said:
OK, here's my questions.

1. Is this issue (spiked high HR readings due to flapping jersey) common to other brands of HRM or any type of HRM chest strap?

2. Are the Polar Wearlink chest straps not susceptible to this or less susceptible?

A buddy of mine had the CatEye with heartrate and cadence and he seemed to have a lot of trouble with interference. I have a Polar 720i and we would usually have problems in the same places along our rides due to the powerlines... I guess. I have noticed the HRm being less suseptable to interference if I turn off auto start/stop, but then I have to remember to turn it on.

As for the Wearlink chest strap, I will do a little unscientific research. I have a weekly race where my HRM is pretty much useless due to electromagnetic interference. I just bought my wife the Polar 625X that came with the wearlink strap. I will wear it at the race next week and see if it reacts the same way.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
My Timex Bodylink works like a champ. Never seen anything like this.

I did hit 222 HR and came down to reality last week - maybe I did hit some interference or someone else in the group had one that doubled mine..But that was the first time since I've had it for 3 years?

greyface said:
This is somewhat of a rant, sorry. I'm looking for others experiences and possible solutions with this problem.

I have a Polar S120 HRM and have been very dissatisfied with it. Under certain conditions (which happens to be typical riding, flapping jersey susceptible to static electricity) the HR reading spikes high. I did a search of other threads and found others that have experienced this also, some due to power lines, dog fences, etc. I wonder if some people get these HR spikes and don't know what's causing it, I know some in my riding group didn't understand. If you think this may be an issue with your HRM also, the next time you get an HR spike, just pull your jersey away from you chest or some how stop it from flapping and your true HR will come right back. I searched Polars website and they address this issue but don't have any realistic solutions. This issue becomes very irritating while trying to train at a specific HR and always messes up the average HR. Polar representatives offer no other solutions and, pointed out the "disclaimer" on the website about the issue and basically said get over it and enjoy your $120 paper weight / watch (at least the watch function works). In my opinion this is a weakness in the design that could surely be improved.

OK, here's my questions.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
I've got a Timex, not sure which one, and since the weather has warmed I have consistently hit HRs of 240. At first I thought it was the battery, but since reading posts on the site I have figured out what the problem is. Since it's gotten warmer I'm down to wearing one jersey, or a jersey and windbreaker and the movement of the jersey is causing the problem...

So I think it's a problem common to most brands...

Rich

· Registered
4,838 Posts
rbart4506 said:
I've got a Timex, not sure which one, and since the weather has warmed I have consistently hit HRs of 240. At first I thought it was the battery, but since reading posts on the site I have figured out what the problem is. Since it's gotten warmer I'm down to wearing one jersey, or a jersey and windbreaker and the movement of the jersey is causing the problem...

So I think it's a problem common to most brands...

Rich

Is it a problem with the zippers on our jerseys touching?

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
I've have a HAC4, & have never had a prob with this...I've heard about this same problem with the new Garmin Edge series...something about the nylon sythetic of the jersey rubbing against the plastic causes the jersey to store a small charge, and then of course discharge...

-due to the sensetivity of the HR strap, it doesn't take all that much to cause a wierd reading

IIRC they recommend trying either a cotton jersey, or maybe just covering the strap with some cotton

HTH

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Used to have problems with power lines with a non-coded Polar, but very few since I switched to a coded model.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good Info, Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I've experienced the same thing as Rich. As warmer weather hit I started just wearing a jersey and the interference issue got much worse. I guess it's a combination of differences that makes it better in colder weater, more underclothes may "insulate" the chest strap and also make jerseys, etc. fit tighter.

It's starting to sound like a common problem that only rears it's ugly head under certain conditions of which some may never experience because they wear tighter fitting jerseys all the time or ones with less nylon or static producing material.

I'll be very interested to see what ridgerunners little test shows. If the Wearlink straps are much less susceptible to the problem I may have to consider upgrading. Anybody ever experience problems with interference with a Wearlink strap due to flapping jersey syndrome (FJP)?

I may try to borrow one of my buddies HRM and Wearlink set-ups to see if I still have FJP. However, I wonder is a disinfectant will harm them. Just kidding.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.