Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's what I have:
Shimano 105 hub, 7-speed
Hyperglide freehub (recent replacement for original Uniglide freehub)

Last winter, I replaced the old UG freehub with a Shimano HG freehub (a LATE UG hub, not one of the early incompatible hubs) with this unit from Niagara: (https://www.niagaracycle.com/catego...fE3Dreojywj-N5NU3Z_Q3M92PfjuBh4aAlL4EALw_wcB).

I'm certain that I tightened the inner hex bolt tightly when I did. Replaced bearings (9 per side), greased up with Phil Wood grease. Worked OK for a few months (maybe a year?).

Recently, I noticed that my hub felt like it was 'binding'. I assumed that I'd forgotten to really tighten the drive-side cone down, allowing it to bind the bearings, so I took the wheel apart, pulled the axle, made sure the cone was tightened down hard (it seemed OK), then put everything back together.

Couldn't find a place where the bearings didn't bind AND there was no lateral play in the wheel! So, I took things apart again, and noticed that there was also wobble in the freehub, both axial and lateral. Maybe 2+mm?

Upon research online, some people mention a spacer (although I assume that was for cassettes that aren't quite wide enough). Was I missing something when the freehub was delivered? Or, is it likely that the #&#@ing thing has just failed after less than 1 year? If the latter, is there a BETTER freehub I could use for my 7 speed 105 hub?

I understand that these freehubs are generally not adjustable; is this true?

Thanks.

P.S. : I didn't check that 10mm internal bolt, and I fear that I'm going to need to pull it all apart again just for that. Do these things EVER loosen?

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After looking at a couple of slightly unrelated vids, I wonder if my freehub is loosening internally? I know this requires a tool that I don't think I have (unless one of my old 2-prong freewheel tools fits).

·
Registered
942 Posts
My experience is some play in the Shimano freehubs is normal, especially lower tier models vs. ultegra/dura-ace ones. The freehub is out of play when the wheel is driven by the chain. Binding is all about adjustment, bearings, and cones.

Normally, on 105 hubs (and all other models before "digital adjustment"), you adjust so there's minor bearing play until the quick release is fully tightened on the bike. If you start with bearings tight, you may/will wear bearings / cones prematurely.

I would say new cones are in order. if that does not fix it, the inner races on the hub are shot. Normally on many models, they are not replaceable, they are press fit into the hubs.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the races were all OK. I assume that it's either the 10mm hex tube bolt has worked it's way out (which would explain both the looseness and the binding), or else the threaded internal race (less likely, since it's reverse-threaded). Guess I gotta that the whole fecking thing apart again. Oy....not great for a guy who has 'no time to lose'....

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled it apart, and sure as sh!t that 10mm sleeve-bolt was loose. Pulled it out, removed as much of the anti-seize compound I initially coated it with, then torqued the bejeebus outta it. Hopefully it won't loosen again.....

How on earth could it loosen? Well, I only recently warmed up to cassettes....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts