Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of cleaning and relubing some cheapo loose bearing Chinese hubs that came with my Specialized Tricross. This is the 2nd I'm doing this in <1,000 miles as the seals have a tendency to rattle off when riding on bumpy roads or trails. Question is how much should I tighten the hubs. I generally have always tightened to the point that maintains near zero (relative!) resistance. Unfortunately, this means I always have a little play in the hubs. Another small turn of the wrench would get rid of the play but I would be able to "feel" the bearings when spinning the wheel in my hand. Should I keep it a little loose or go for the extra tightening?

On another note, I have an old White Industry suspension hub from my former mountain bike. Any reason I can't build a road wheel with this hub? I don't care about the weight on this bike but I can't recall if the spacing is different road vs. mountain on the front.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
Try this

When you clean and lube a hub, set the bearings so that there is a slight shake in the wheel that just goes away when the Quick release is max tight. After the first ride, check to see if the shake came back, if so, readjust.
The White hub should be fine as long as it fits in the dropouts. They make some right nice stuff! Eye Candy also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.