Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Velocity Deep V wheelset whcih I've absolutely love with a Ritchey WCS hub in the rear and a Nuke Titanium hub in the front. I bought these off ebay and have put about 1500 miles on them and assume there were at least another thousand on them when I bought them. I'm now noticing a noise from the wheel that sounds as if the brakes are rubbing against the rims against one specific area of rotation however the noise seems to actually be coming from the hub. Is this what it sounds like when a hub is going or is this something else? If the hub does in deed need to be replaced could I bike shop do it easily enough if I buy a new hub? If this is in fact the hub could this cause any resistance?

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Basic check--and you can rebuild the hub yourself

DRLski said:
I have a Velocity Deep V wheelset whcih I've absolutely love with a Ritchey WCS hub in the rear and a Nuke Titanium hub in the front. I bought these off ebay and have put about 1500 miles on them and assume there were at least another thousand on them when I bought them. I'm now noticing a noise from the wheel that sounds as if the brakes are rubbing against the rims against one specific area of rotation however the noise seems to actually be coming from the hub. Is this what it sounds like when a hub is going or is this something else? If the hub does in deed need to be replaced could I bike shop do it easily enough if I buy a new hub? If this is in fact the hub could this cause any resistance?

A couple of quick checks can give you an idea if it's the hub. It's easier to tell in front, so I'm assuming that's where the trouble is...
First, lift the front of the bike off the ground,and spin the wheel by hand, then put your fingertips lightly on the end of the skewer. You shouldn't feel any vibration. If it's "gravelly" or notchy or just not smooth, that's bad.
Second, remove the wheel from the bike, hold the axle and wiggle it to see if there's any play in the bearings. A tiny, barely perceptible amount is usually OK--it gets taken up when you clamp the wheel in the fork. If it clunks back and forth noticeably, that's also bad (same process will work in the rear, but there's more going on back there so it's harder to tell what it SHOULD feel like if you don't have experience).
Rebuilding a front hub is fairly easy, and the parts (bearings, probably caged but maybe loose, and grease) cost only a few dollars. You'll need some basic tools you'll eventually want anyway. There are plenty of sites that tell you how to do it. One is www.parktool.com. You can screw it up, but you aren't likely to do serious damage, and it will save a bundle over a new hub.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.