Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there Chris King hubs but not as pricey Chris King?

I'm looking at White Industries hubs which are priced low enough but I cant help but think there are better product worth the extra dollar.

Keep in mind these are hubs going with alloy rims in non professional seeking conditions.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Looking at White is a good look, they're really solid. I really like titanium freehub bodies.

November has the T11 hubs but in a slightly more affordable build, probably making them a better value. Worth a look. Nimbus Ti I think they're called.

I would personally be looking at a pair of Dura-Ace 9000 hubs. Great hubs and great skewers. My pick for sure.

I should probably ask what you like about the Chris King hubs though.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
Whites are $500/set and the Kings are $600/set....Both are quite pricey. Although both are regarded as the nicer American made options you can buy. Dura-Ace 9000s can be had for $300, although the Ultegra are nice as well.

Depends on exactly what you are wanting.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
It's fun to split hairs about it but the reality is just cheap Shimano's (say, 105 or Tiagra) will do the job just as well as higher priced "Better" hubs.

White Industry hubs are fantastic though. Simply and easy, light enough and they just keep rolling smooth as butter. King hubs won't do anything for you that those won't other than empty your wallet a little more and be a bit more of a hassle should you ever need to work on them.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
It's fun to split hairs about it but the reality is just cheap Shimano's (say, 105 or Tiagra) will do the job just as well as higher priced "Better" hubs.

White Industry hubs are fantastic though. Simply and easy, light enough and they just keep rolling smooth as butter. King hubs won't do anything for you that those won't other than empty your wallet.
OTOH the Chris Kings are...well...Chris Kings. And they are Shiney.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Looking at White is a good look, they're really solid. I really like titanium freehub bodies.
November has the T11 hubs but in a slightly more affordable build, probably making them a better value. Worth a look. Nimbus Ti I think they're called.
I would personally be looking at a pair of Dura-Ace 9000 hubs. Great hubs and great skewers. My pick for sure.
Dura-Ace are my hub of choice for my personal wheels and I have 2-3 sets in my stash just waiting for a reason to build me some more wheels.

The Novembers, great hubs made by White, are not available on their own. Kirk Pacenti has his own hubs made by White and he even has a sale on them right now -

Pacenti Customer Appreciation Specials

$325 a set, down from $450.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
Ohhh...you're looking for Fred King hubs. Exactly the same as Chris but muchhhhh cheaper.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still looking but I cant find cheap dura ace hubs (unless I buy the groupo and sell the rest of the bits? x.x).

Also should there be a problem, other than loosing cool points when you have miss matching hubs?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a Google search that returned 10+ hits. Cost depends on the hole count.

Of course, everyone's definition of cheap varies.

Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 11-Speed 24h Rear Hub

lol. I was seeing Ultegra going for quite a bit less. Thus I figured I would be able to save more than 100usd (because White Industries T11 full price comes to 320ish something +colouring costs).

IWANT STEEP DISCOUNTS =.=

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Road hubs have so little to do. If they're light and don't fall apart, mission accomplished. I'm currently using EdHubs cuz they're cheap and light (and haven't fallen apart and like most quality hubs when you turn the axle they feel smooth).

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
It would be interesting to put some Dura Ace and Record hubs on a machine to test them to see how long they can last. You couldn't spin them at crazy high RPM, because they aren't made to do that. You could also test some sealed bearing hubs to compare.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
None of my wheels exactly match. None of my tires exactly match.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.