Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,

Does anybody here have any experience with Onyx or Stealth hubs?

These appear to have to quietest freehub of any cartridge road hubs on the market. Interestingly, despite their greatly inflated cost, there is no weight savings compared to Shimano Ultegra hubs which are about one third of the cost and quiet enough. As Jay Strongbow put it recently "If you can hear properly greased Shimano hubs when riding the CIA could probably use you".

Onyx and Stealth are both USA made which I am guessing adds to some of the cost. Another thing is the bling factor.

Does anybody know of any other cartridge hubs that have a freehub as quiet as Shimano, Onyx or Stealth?

Thanks!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess not.

·
Boyd Cycling owner
377 Posts
The reason why those hubs are silent is because they have "one way bearings" as an engagement system.
I know the Onyx uses a sprag bearing and the Stealth uses a roller clutch (I believe, somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

They are pretty cool systems that don't have a traditional pawl or driver system, although I do know they tend to be a bit heavier than "traditional" systems. I had a great conversation with GMN bearings about the sprag system, but they were saying it doesn't work well on aluminum and you need a steel axle for the bearing to grab.

I know Holloway is racing crits on the Onyx hubs so they can definitely withstand boatloads of power going into them.
Overall, pretty cool systems especially if you are into silent coasting.
I asked a question on our Facebook page a while ago if people preferred silent or the pawl click sound and it was split almost 50-50.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason why those hubs are silent is because they have "one way bearings" as an engagement system.
I know the Onyx uses a sprag bearing and the Stealth uses a roller clutch (I believe, somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

They are pretty cool systems that don't have a traditional pawl or driver system, although I do know they tend to be a bit heavier than "traditional" systems. I had a great conversation with GMN bearings about the sprag system, but they were saying it doesn't work well on aluminum and you need a steel axle for the bearing to grab.

I know Holloway is racing crits on the Onyx hubs so they can definitely withstand boatloads of power going into them.
Overall, pretty cool systems especially if you are into silent coasting.
I asked a question on our Facebook page a while ago if people preferred silent or the pawl click sound and it was split almost 50-50.
Interesting. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the onyx road hubs on a set of wheels I built up. Broke the rear axcell after 1500 miles. Was surprised to see they were only 10 millimeters. I am not a heavy rider 170. Have heard the bigger guys have had a lot of problems.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the onyx road hubs on a set of wheels I built up. Broke the rear axcell after 1500 miles. Was surprised to see they were only 10 millimeters. I am not a heavy rider 170. Have heard the bigger guys have had a lot of problems.

Thanks for the info. The infinite engagement was one thing that interested me, but QC problems are a dealbreaker for me.

I'll stick with good old reliable Shimano for now.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Shimano has new silent hubs on the way. Similar engagement mech to Dr Swiss, but not spring engagement. They call the tech "Scylence".

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am in the process of building up some Onyx hubs right now. Rim suggestions anyone?

Onyx has 2 models of road hubs, the Road and Road DS. DS stands for double sprag. I called Onyx before I ordered mine to make sure I was getting the right ones. the regular Road hubs are for riders under ~165lbs. They are meant for the light people of the world. So I ended up getting the DS model. The Sprag are zero engagement, which is pretty sweet. They are not the lightest in the world but they will ROLL FOREVER. I have worked on a couple people's bikes with Onyx hubs are they are absolutely amazingly smooth. They are also made in MN (yeah USA).

Hope this helps...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts