Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from a guy looking into flea collars on the cheap. He said that he is sending them to the troops in Afghanistan. I guess they put them in their sleeping bags to keep the fleas away. So while I sleep in a comfortable bed in a climate controlled environment some soldier is scratching his balls off in some sandbox trying to catch a few winks of sleep. I wanted to send him a few carpet/house sprays that keep the itchies away for 6 or 7 months but they are aerosol cans and they can't ship them via air transit which is how the military gets their supplies there. :(

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Wow. Just wow.

·
Proud luddite
7,227 Posts
I can't comprehend why our troops must put up with stuff like that. Our government can afford to spend billions on weaponry but not a few bucks to help them deal with fleas. Something just isn't right.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
azpeterb said:
I can't comprehend why our troops must put up with stuff like that. Our government can afford to spend billions on weaponry but not a few bucks to help them deal with fleas. Something just isn't right.

Well to a certain extent the conditions out in the field are out of the government's control. None the less I'd think they could at least help them out with a problem like this somehow. I am considering just donating some of the supplies myself.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I totally agree that we should do better for our troops. One thing that works to keep the fleas away - dryer sheets. I read this in an article specifically about this topic (keeping fleas out of soldiers beds). Maybe you could send these instead of the spray.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are lots of homeopathic type remedies for fleas but few of them work anywhere near as well as the real deal. Especially the area and carpet sprays that wreck fleas, eggs, and larvae for 7 months.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Jim311 said:
There are lots of homeopathic type remedies for fleas but few of them work anywhere near as well as the real deal. Especially the area and carpet sprays that wreck fleas, eggs, and larvae for 7 months.
Dryer sheets probably work as well as flea collars, which is to say, not very well. When my cats were wearing collars, it had no discernible affect on fleas. Often, I'd see them right under the collar. So I stopped wasting my money. The only thing that really works are products like Advantage and Frontline.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mohair_chair said:
Dryer sheets probably work as well as flea collars, which is to say, not very well. When my cats were wearing collars, it had no discernible affect on fleas. Often, I'd see them right under the collar. So I stopped wasting my money. The only thing that really works are products like Advantage and Frontline.

They are definitely less than ideal. I think the best solution is controlling the environment. They also make yard sprays which attach to a hose and you basically just water your lawn with the stuff. Use that, plus the house spray, and the majority of the problem will go away once you break the life cycle. We had a major tick infestation and Advantix and Frontline didn't do a thing for the ticks, but the knockout destroyed the problem practically overnight.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Jim311 said:
They also make yard sprays which attach to a hose and you basically just water your lawn with the stuff.
Our dog's breeder is a big fan of Sevin which comes as a liquid or granules (maybe granules could be shipped, but expensive due to weight?). One of our dogs had a reaction to Frontline so we're going to try that. Seems like this is another bad year for fleas around here.

Humbling, indeed.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Dryer sheets?

I swear I just read that was debunked for mosquito control, I can't imagine it works any better for fleas.

In before the move to PO!

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
kykr13 said:
Our dog's breeder is a big fan of Sevin which comes as a liquid or granules (maybe granules could be shipped, but expensive due to weight?). One of our dogs had a reaction to Frontline so we're going to try that. Seems like this is another bad year for fleas around here.

Humbling, indeed.
ACtually you can pack the Flat Rate Boxes from the post office pretty full and they ship them to APO addresses for cheap. I've sent some Lounge gear over to the middle east and the hardest part was the dang paperwork at the post office. (it really wasn't that bad).

Large Flat Rate Box: $12.50 when used to send to APO/FPO addresses (70 lb weight limit) 12"x12"x5.5" box

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
azpeterb said:
This is just a small example of this type of situation. It really sucks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Flea control

I have a few buddies that we over in Iraq and Afghanistan a few times but they never really complained about fleas. It is probably location specific. That being said the only problem i can see getting the collars and bug spray in there is that some of those areas are really rural and they are living in some very bad conditions. Like 15 guys sleeping on the ground in a little mud hut out in the middle of nowhere. So only a few cans would make it to the before the REMF would have already taken it up.

·
hit it
4,006 Posts
What about something like Karate? 1 oz of that stuff mixed in a gallon of water would take care of an entire platoon for well over a year if someone was smart about the application.

That stuff is scary though.... Vitamin E oil is your friend!

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
i nuke the fleas w/ demon xp, inside and outside the house. it comes in a powder that you dissolve in a sprayer, not sure they would have access to all that but it sure is effective.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts