Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip to the Humboldt county area to do some riding, and if anyone has any suggestions on specific rides, I'd love to hear them. Any general info is appreciated: resources, camping info, etc.

I'd like to spend 5-7 days in the area and get a good long (50-100 mi) ride in each day, with a rest day or two to see the (non-cycling) sights and recover a bit. I'm amenable to either moving to a few different locations or staying in one spot and riding from there. I'm really open to any suggestions anyone familiar with the area might have. I'm actually not set on that specific area, so anything in the northwestern part of California is fair game - I live in Davis, and want to explore the northwest part of the state since I haven't spent much time there.

I prefer to camp, but I wouldn't rule out other accommodation options if that makes things easier.

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
lots

You can really get lost (in a good way) in the mountains up here. Let me think about it and get back to you. What kind of bike? You averse to gravel? If you had a good, light cross bike with some tough 28s or 32s, it opens up some new worlds. That's what I use for a lot of my favorite loops.

I really recommend driving to a camp, setting up and riding unloaded. There is just too much climbing to do that kind of mileage unloaded. Most of the really amazing rides include climbing at the rate of about 8-10K feet per 100 miles, but on a lot of them you'll see, oh, one or two cars an hour.

That said, I'm hatching some ideas. Check the northcoastbikerides blog for others.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I looked all over the northcoastbikerides blog - great site! Definitely looks like the cross bike might come in handy - I do have one, although it's currently awaiting a new rear wheel, so I might have to get on that! I definitely plan on riding "unloaded" - I won't be touring, just car camping and driving to wherever the day's ride starts.

I'm currently considering making the trip on the weekend of May 9th and including the Tour of the Unknown Coast as part of the journey...

Thanks a lot for any suggestions you can throw my way.

Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's a start

Get your Six Rivers National Forest map out...some of the roads I'm about to mention don't show so well on Google earth and such. These are some great rides that aren't shown on the blog.

Start at Veterans Park in Willow Creek. Cross the Trinity on the bridge, and turn right following Campbell Ridge road along the north side of the trinity to Salyer. Stop at the store in Salyer, because there are no more services. Turn right (west) on 299 for about a mile or two to Friday ridge road on the left, just after crossing the Trinity again. Turn on Friday Ridge, climb for 15 miles and about 4500 feet to Forest Service route 1. Right on Route 1 at the top of the ridge (you can go 50 miles to the left too, if you want an out/back for more mileage). Take route 1/titlow hill back to 299, and descent 299 back to town. About 4.5 hours, 6 or 7K climbing. Longer options include taking waterman ridge to Hawkins Bar instead of Campbell Ridge to Salyer. Adds another tough climb and about 20 miles. This ride is one of my favorites, and not enough people know about it. Little to no gravel.

Forks of Salmon - Callahan - Etna - Forks of Salmon. I've never done this one, but everyone I know who has comes away raving. Follows a couple different forks of the Salmon River, with big passes in between, very, very low traffic, 100 miles or so, bunch of climbing (8-9K??). Little to no gravel.

Forest Glen (camp at Hell gate on the south fork trinity). East on 36, north on 3 to Hayfork, through Hayfork to Wildwood Road, Wildwood back to 3, 3 back to camp. No gravel, almost no traffic, about 4 hours. About 4-5 K of climbing.

You can riff on these rides a lot after looking at maps. Endless opportunities.

Along the coast, riding from Arcata to Patricks point and back, see the blog for directions, would be a good recovery day. Loleta/south jetty are also nice. Patricks point and Big Lagoon offer really nice camping. If you're in town on a Saturday and you like that kind of thing, make sure to make the Arcata farmers market on the plaza, and catch some music around town.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Almost forgot...there is an 18 mile singletrack along the trinity starting from Hell Gate. It's about a 5 hour out/back if your into that kind of thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I decided on heading up in a couple of weeks for the Tour of the Unknown Coast and adding in another day or two of riding before or after. I'll definitely check out the rides you mention.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Scott,

Good call on doing the Tour Unknown Coast. Might as well camp at the TUC venue in Ferndale the day before the ride. I think they serve meals Friday PM and the morning of the ride.

My advice for camping is Albee Creek or Burlington down in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. The Eel River is awesome for swimming and the temperatures will be much nicer than Eureka/Arcata area. Lastly, if you bring the mtn bike, there are trails that lead right from your tent.

The day after the TUC is a good time to ride the balance of the Avenue of the Giants... an easy 30-40 mile recovery ride along the South Fork Eel River, which is also pretty close to the campground. Enjoy.

http://www.humboldtredwoods.org/albee_creek

1 - 7 of 7 Posts