Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Twitterpated
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would not have ridden one tenth of the routes that I've taken if it was left up to me. I've had a riding buddy for about four years now and he has taken me all over the countryside near Bloomington, IN where we live. He's from here and has over 25 years of local riding knowledge.

We've ridden around lakes, through state parks, down through Amish country, participated in charity rides, up hills and down. All routes that I would have never known. I would have stayed inside city limits and probably never ventured out. Our local bicycle club is the same way, they go east, w, n & s.

So, I'm thankful to have fellow cyclists around for encouragement and knowledge, just someone to share the road and memories with.

Thanks,
Tshirt

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Riding with other like-minded cyclists is one of the most beneficial things you can do.

·
I am no Guide
571 Posts
Riding partners and goup rides are a great way to get out to exsperiance new routes and if you MTB at all can be a great way to learn new trails too!

I agree with Mr. Versatile that one of the best parts of riding in groups is the like-minded people.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
Amen! I've experienced the highs and lows of biking the past few days. If not for joining a club, I'd be doing the same old routes, and I'd be too scared to try rides over 50 miles for fear of mechanical problems. I've been in a club for 2 months, and I've learned a lot, improved a lot, and I just did my longest road rides the past 2 Saturdays (63 & 75 miles, respectively) with a great bunch of fellow club riders.

On Sunday, we have a ride leader who offers 3 different rides from the same location at the same time (the smorgasbord, as we call it). Ironically, I had already decided to do the longest of the 3 rides, but everyone else chose the other 2 rides. I did the ride anyway and struggled for many reasons; mainly I was out of gas, but the fact that there was nobody around to push me really hurt. For me to ride better, other riders don't necessarily have to pull me, they just need to be there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.