Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting to see his teamates using 7900 shifters. Maybe it's just preference. Haven't seen what the rest of his running gear was to the Omloop, 7800 or 7900. Ha ha, like this sort of thing makes any difference....

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Ligero said:
The inside info that I heard is that the sprinters are having problems getting 7900 to shift from the 12 to the 11. He also just may like the 7800 shape better.
this is exactly the same thing i heard from someone at cervelo. thor is riding the s3, and i guess the cable routing causes enough drag that the newer/lighter action derailleur won't go from 12 to 11

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sounds like more evidence of the brilliance of Cervelo's engineering!!! Who cares if the bike won't shift properly due to the increased friction... it drops 0.3496 grams of aero resistance!

Dumb, dumb, dumb!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Cable routing for DA7900 shifters isn't a Cervelo issue, rather Shimano. The shifter cables are now routed under the bar, like Campy, and this may have increased the drag on the cable. Has nothing to do with the frames.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Even if you assume that 7900 shifters have more drag or friction than the 7800 shifters, the fact that 7900 shifters function just fine on other frames, but not on these Cervelos with the special gear cable routing, leads me to conclude that it's the frame's fault!

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
bdaghisallo1 said:
Even if you assume that 7900 shifters have more drag or friction than the 7800 shifters, the fact that 7900 shifters function just fine on other frames, but not on these Cervelos with the special gear cable routing, leads me to conclude that it's the frame's fault!
Now that's scientific reasoning. :thumbsup:

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
i don't think the 7900 has more housing drag itself, i think it's the way the housing is routed on the s3. which...oddly enough...looks very similar to the new felt, but haven't heard of any problems w/ that frame. hmmmm...has cervelo finally out-engineered themselves?:eek:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
dentists and triathletes worldwide will be absolutely devastated at these revelations

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I spoke with numerous wrenches and a DS or 2

at T.O.C. and all said there were still some bugs with the 7900 gruppo. I imagine this may be one of them. For a sprinter, that is a bug that can rob them of victory, I understand them choosing something they KNOW will work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've worked with Dura-Ace on these S-series bikes a few times now and I have concluded that its the frame's internal cables stops that are the issue here. Internal routing isnt a problem..per say...it is just the internal routing on these frames. The new Dura-ace shifts beautifully when setup with Shimano cables and housing on regular frames.

·
Registered
157 Posts
b24fsb said:
well mark cav. does seem to have any problems using 7900 on his Scott Addict to win sprints
He may use the 7900 shifters but he doesn't use the 7900 crankset. So who knows. The sprinters seem to be the superstitious overly obsessive type for the most part. And if your main job was only the last 2-300 meters of a 5 hour race you'd want everything to be perfect too.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
dover said:
..it is just the internal routing on these frames..
Internal routing generally bites. I wrench a few Cervelos too, can never get it perfect. Check the chainlength, because of the backwards-bend BB the chainline is extreme.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts