Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a set of slightly used WI hubs and Kinlin rims that had Hutchinson tubless tires mounted. The front arrived flat, I aired it up and rode it, but it was flat the next morning. The leak is 180* from the stem and is where it apparently did not seal against the rim. My question is should I just put more sealant in it or pull the tire off the rim and start over? I am tempted to pull both off and just run regular tires and try to install the tires on some Ksyrium SL3's that I have that would not require the rim strips.

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

· Registered
2,931 Posts
FWIW, while I'm not sure how well the Kinlin rims work with the Fusion2 tubeless, I've never used any sealant for them on my Dura Ace 7850's, and I've now got over 3500 miles on the set up.

My experience is that they're much easier to mount on my set up if I use dish soap to lube the bead. The bead seems to slide into the groove and seal a lot more easier for me, which is important since I'm just using a floor pump. Once mounted they lose pressure at the rate of a standard tube/tire set up. It could be that there's gunk in that area preventing a good seal, so I'd probably pull it off, clean and inspect the tire and rim carefully, especially where it's leaking, and try remounting.

Alternatively, it could be that the bead is damaged. Does it look OK where it's not sealing? Unlike a clincher, it's very important to not nick or deform the bead while mounting the tire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.