Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow cyclers! I really would like to change the flat handlebars on my Devinci St-Tropez 2016 hybrid bike to drop handlebars. However, I do not have a big budget and would hate to mess up a great hybrid bike with my beginner skills.

First would it be possible to simply keep my gear/break system and install it right onto a drop handlebar? I would like to keep my hybrid breaks and gears and to have this system on the “flat part” of drop handlebars?

If its possible, what kind of problems could I encounter?

Thank you in advance for your answers 😃

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,440 Posts
The whole point of drop bars is to have multiple hand positions where you can reach the BRAKES/shifters. I guess it's probably possible to get your BRAKE levers/shifters onto a the tops of a drop bar but it makes no sense. You would lose the position of being on the hoods where you can both shift and BRAKE. As well as making the drops basically useless because there wouldn't be any BRAKE/shift lever to use from them. If you want drop bars get the proper levers.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,062 Posts
The whole point of drop bars is to have multiple hand positions where you can reach the BRAKES/shifters. I guess it's probably possible to get your BRAKE levers/shifters onto a the tops of a drop bar but it makes no sense. You would lose the position of being on the hoods where you can both shift and BRAKE. As well as making the drops basically useless because there wouldn't be any BRAKE/shift lever to use from them. If you want drop bars get the proper levers.
So what you're saying is, the OP would need to buy new Brifters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The biggest headache is dealing with the brakes. If you have V brakes current, there's a mis-match of the amount of cable pull and mechanical leverage of drop bar shifter/brake combo levers (known as brifters). A good shop can get the parts and figure it out. Likely to be over $250 for bar, stem, shifters, cables and housing plus bar tape and labor. You can e-bay the levers, then get a bar and maybe stem, and assorted parts and save a bunch if you like to do it yourself.

·
Super Moderator
40,603 Posts
So what you're saying is, the OP would need to buy new Brifters.
"BRAKE levers/shifters" is what cxwrench wrote, because he's on record as despising (his word) the term "brifter."

Which is why I'm suggesting the term "blevers," since they're brakes AND shift levers.

(No need to thank me when you read this, cxwrench, giving is what I do.)

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,274 Posts
The biggest headache is dealing with the brakes. If you have V brakes current, there's a mis-match of the amount of cable pull and mechanical leverage of drop bar shifter/brake combo levers (known as brifters). A good shop can get the parts and figure it out. Likely to be over $250 for bar, stem, shifters, cables and housing plus bar tape and labor. You can e-bay the levers, then get a bar and maybe stem, and assorted parts and save a bunch if you like to do it yourself.
And then, after spending all of that, you'll have a lousy, heavy bike that's now too small for you, since road bike frames stretch out more (so, if it fit as a hybrid, it won't as a road bike). Your idea lacks merit, practicality, or cost-effectiveness. Just find a used road bike that fits you.

·
I love to climb!
2,038 Posts
It's not really worth it. Your current shifters and brakes won't fit in drop bars. You will need new shift and brake levers. You probably have V- brakes, so that will mean new brakes that match the brand levers (even if they're just mini-Vs. It will run you $400-500 minimum to do it right.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Huge in Japan
437 Posts
This is a rabbit hole no body ever went into and came out saying "gee I'm glad I did that"
Can't tell if referring to the original inquiry regarding hybrid bike conversion or new direction of the conversation invoked by back-to-back-to-back brifter mentions....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your answers! I really wanted this to be more in an aerodynamic position since I often do long distances and rarely need to break or shift as the terrain is flat!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And then, after spending all of that, you'll have a lousy, heavy bike that's now too small for you, since road bike frames stretch out more (so, if it fit as a hybrid, it won't as a road bike). Your idea lacks merit, practicality, or cost-effectiveness. Just find a used road bike that fits you.
The fit was not a problem I thought J would encounter thanks a lot! However my frame is very very light, when you say a heavy bike, do you mean because of the drop handlebars?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"BRAKE levers/shifters" is what cxwrench wrote, because he's on record as despising (his word) the term "brifter."

Which is why I'm suggesting the term "blevers," since they're brakes AND shift levers.

(No need to thank me when you read this, cxwrench, giving is what I do.)
My vote is unfortunately for brifter! :)

·
Super Moderator
40,603 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,822 Posts
My vote is unfortunately for brifter! :)
Why not "shrakes"? :giggle:

Or we could just call them DILDO's = Deceleration Initiation Lever and Derailleur Operators. (y)

Reactions: bilbo and SPlKE

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,822 Posts
Thats why I wanted to get informed before and clearly I will not be doing this!
It will be expensive if you want to do it correctly. You will need a full groupo which will run you at least in the high hundreds of $$$.

If all you want is to get more aero, why not get something like this:

Reactions: jabpn

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Thanks everyone for your answers! I really wanted this to be more in an aerodynamic position since I often do long distances and rarely need to break or shift as the terrain is flat!
Break what? I think you want to brake instead. Much better idea :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts