Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I recently got into cycling, and have a number of hydration packs, as I am also an avid hiker. The question is: is it taboo to use hydration packs? Are members of the cycling community bottles only? I don't want them to look at me and be like "who is that guy?"

Joking aside, I have a hydration pack that is just the right size for a 2L bladder, pump, tube, levers, and a couple odds and ends. However, are packs a big no-no with roadies, or am I good to go?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I use a hydration pack on almost every ride. I drink more water when I use one and it also gives me 100% sunblock on at least part of my back. However, many bikers frown upon them. This topic shows up from time to time and triggers some banter on these forums but not quite as much as waving at other cyclists.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Velominati ? The Rules

Rule #32// Humps are for camels: no hydration packs.
Hydration packs are never to be seen on a road rider’s body. No argument will be entered into on this. For MTB, they are cool.
Ride with whatever you need.

for MTB... it's more of a necessity, since bottles covered with dirt from the trail don't taste good (opening the valve with my teeth when I'm riding)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Use whatever you're comfortable with. MTB guys use them all the time, partly because of the mud issue, partly because it's harder to take your hand of the bars. For the converse reasons bottles work fine on road bikes, so packs are less necessary, so most roadies use bottles. And many of us do not like having weight on the upper back and shoulders when in the more horizontal road-bike riding position (personally, I hate it). Also, if you wear a jersey with pockets, the pack tends to interfere.

But do whatever works for you.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Bingo. Pretty much my take on the whole issue...

Use whatever you're comfortable with. MTB guys use them all the time, partly because of the mud issue, partly because it's harder to take your hand of the bars. For the converse reasons bottles work fine on road bikes, so packs are less necessary, so most roadies use bottles. And many of us do not like having weight on the upper back and shoulders when in the more horizontal road-bike riding position (personally, I hate it). Also, if you wear a jersey with pockets, the pack tends to interfere.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts

Bingo. Pretty much my take on the whole issue...
Bingo^2 Mostly the "I hate wearing a pack on a road bike" deal. But I can see how people who like them, are used to them, and can't comfortably drink from a bottle while riding or coasting might like them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
On my road bike, I put all of my tools, pump, and extra tube in a pack under my seat. I'll stuff my jersey pockets with food and my phone, and put my ID and money in a pocket in my shorts. I have two water bottles on my frame. I have found that it's relatively easy to refill water bottles on the road, if you look for drinking fountains in public parks or some random house with sprinklers.

On the MTB, I'll throw it all in the Camelbak. The availability of water sources on the trail is much less reliable.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
MTB ... No bottles as you get mud or dust on them. Everything goes into the camelbak. Bottles can go flying out as u hit the trails or the saddle bag can get in the way as you put your weight over the rear wheels.

Road ... When u r in the drops, unless everything is strapped down properly in your camelbak, u might feel it moving on your back. And your back do get quite damp from perspiration. Saddle for tools n spares n 2 bottles.

But whatever that is convenient/comfortable for you.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just don't because my back gets sweaty. Why wear a sweating wicking jersey/shirt if your back is gonna get soaked because it can't breathe? Also, when you get out of the saddle for long climbs or sprints, it moves a little bit.

I do wear a backpack while commuting to school, and I live in a hilly area, no matter how well your pack fits, it still holds you back, IMO.

But do what works for you. I probably do a lot of things that are "taboo" like wear my Buffalo Sabres cycling jersey and rock out to the "Tron: Legacy" soundtrack while wearing earbuds (only in my right ear though), and that my drink mix doesn't match the color of my frame, you get the point...

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've tried it once and I didnt like it. It moves around too much when doing a hard sprint, out of saddle climbing and when in the drops. Then, it gets freaking sweaty nasty. On the trail its not bad because you are sweaty all over but the road you make enough wind even on a zero wind day to cool you down.

Plus, I have 2 24oz bottles. I usually prehydrate the day before pretty good before a hotter ride and use the bottles to keep me good. One is full of hydration mix and the other is straight water.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I use a couple of 24oz bottles. I normally don't ride much more than 2-3 hrs so that seems to be a good amount of fluids. I e read quite a bit about over hydration actually...seems some people drink too much when exercising.

As for a camelbak...it just seems highly unappealing to have hanging off of my carcass...that and I back sweat like crazy, I would probably be pretty miserable.

...dare I ask what the deal is with a aging at other cyclists? I at a minimum give a head nod if I don't give a small hand wave with my hands still on the bars. Is this a no-no or something?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just started cycling as well and use a camel back. I gotta say I actually enjoy it. Yea I might not look "cool" w/ it but water is easily accessible w/o having to reach down on the bike, you can carry more than you can in a bottle, and I believe most camel backs fit pretty snug on you so there's no swinging anything around. I will probably end up getting a water bottle/bottle cage for putting in a nutrient drink to go w/ the camel back at some point.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I just started cycling as well and use a camel back. I gotta say I actually enjoy it. Yea I might not look "cool" w/ it but water is easily accessible w/o having to reach down on the bike, you can carry more than you can in a bottle, and I believe most camel backs fit pretty snug on you so there's no swinging anything around. I will probably end up getting a water bottle/bottle cage for putting in a nutrient drink to go w/ the camel back at some point.
If you are new than you arent likely taking your bike for a century ride. If you are downing a 2L camelbak on a ride than you are drinking way too much arent hydrated enough to begin with. I rarely, if ever finish both of my 24 OZ bottles and most of my rides are in the 35-40 mile range when Im healthy. Right not Im hovering around 30 and I barely finish my hydration mix bottle. When I get home, I rehydrate and Im good to go.

Plus, its Camelbak not Camel Back. You arent drinking from a Camel's back. lol

View attachment 281651

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you are new than you arent likely taking your bike for a century ride. If you are downing a 2L camelbak on a ride than you are drinking way too much arent hydrated enough to begin with. I rarely, if ever finish both of my 24 OZ bottles and most of my rides are in the 35-40 mile range when Im healthy. Right not Im hovering around 30 and I barely finish my hydration mix bottle. When I get home, I rehydrate and Im good to go.

Plus, its Camelbak not Camel Back. You arent drinking from a Camel's back. lol

View attachment 281651
I don't drink the whole thing. I am too lazy to go down to the bike shop and buy a cage/bottle and my dad who used to mountain bike had an unopened camelbak* that he gave me so I just fill it about half way and go.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hi there. I recently got into cycling, and have a number of hydration packs, as I am also an avid hiker. The question is: is it taboo to use hydration packs? Are members of the cycling community bottles only? I don't want them to look at me and be like "who is that guy?"

Joking aside, I have a hydration pack that is just the right size for a 2L bladder, pump, tube, levers, and a couple odds and ends. However, are packs a big no-no with roadies, or am I good to go?
I wear a small pack on when I mtn bike. I would never ride without it. However when road biking have moved away from the pack. A few reasons for this. First is storage. On the mtn bike I carry more stuff, tube, tool kit, mini pliers and 100oz of water. I carry this stuff on mtn rides since I am more remote most times and things can happen on a trail where there is a 5 or 10 mile walk to get to a road. Need to be self sufficient. On the road bike I carry 2 tires levers, tube and pump. That is it as worse comes to worse I can call for help as I will always be on a main road. So what I need will fit in a seat bag easily. On the mtn bike I have had seat bags fall off generally tear up the contents due to rattling around. They don't do that in pack.

Water bottles get really dirty on mtn bikes it can be really hard to reach down and drink water when bombing down single track. Easier with the pack to drink on the move.

What I have found is there is additional freedom without a pack on the road bike. I feel more aero dynamic in the drops and am just a bit cooler. To me is what you are comfortable with. I tend to like to keep deat weight on things that don't move as much . On the trails the my hardtail moves alot. I keep my upper body more stationary and left the bike move under me as needed. On the road bike since the road is smooth the bike feels like it is more glued to the road and it feels like my body moves alot more. Standing is really where i get this feeling. Not really sure if it true or not, but since this is all about which one feels right I guess it is valid.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I don't think you can make this assessment. I did 2.5 hr road ride a few weeks back and drank through my 2 21 oz bottles and really wanted more. Last ride it as 95 when I started and drank through a single 21 oz bottle in 1 hour. That same ride in the winter might be little to no water (just pre hrydrate). Far better IMHO to come home with extra water than to return dry. Of course I have been mtn biking for years in the desert were water is hard to come by and is never found trail side. If you are riding on suburban roads you probably can find a water source somewhere. I did mtn bike ride in Janurary and used up my entire 100oz camelbak and still had another 10 miles to ride to get to my car. I was happy to find a drinking fountain at trail head I could fill up. Rare find here and save my butt. Now for long rides like that I bring the 100oz camelbak and a 21 oz back up bottle.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I am too lazy to go down to the bike shop and buy a cage/bottle.
Have you heard about this new "internet" thing? You can buy stuff and they'll bring it right to your door!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.