Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Just go down to the local boat shop and buy a small anchor and hang it off your bars.
It would be cheaper, lighter and work better.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well, this may settle the long time disc vs. canti debate- Why run one or the other when you can have BOTH!

Just think of it. When you really need that extra braking power: grab the levers on the tops. When it's dry and you just want to scrub a little speed into the barriers: squeeze the shift/brake levers.

It's a win/win solution! (But probably not a race winning solution.)

·
The Beast
62 Posts
wunlap togo said:
Well, this may settle the long time disc vs. canti debate- Why run one or the other when you can have BOTH!

Just think of it. When you really need that extra braking power: grab the levers on the tops. When it's dry and you just want to scrub a little speed into the barriers: squeeze the shift/brake levers.

It's a win/win solution! (But probably not a race winning solution.)
Um, how are there both disc's and canti's on that bike? Thats the whole point of the converter system they made

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That bike only has discs, but with that setup you COULD run both on a bike with canti and disc mounts. Which would be fantastic, like a unicorn that can both fly and breath under water.

·
The Beast
62 Posts
wunlap togo said:
That bike only has discs, but with that setup you COULD run both on a bike with canti and disc mounts. Which would be fantastic, like a unicorn that can both fly and breath under water.
You could have done that setup 10 years ago, no?

Regular mtb disc brakes mounted on the tops and the shift levers routed to canti's. I doubt that the adapter linked would connect to both the disc levers as well as the canti's.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I didn't look closely enough at the photo, I see what's going on now. I thought it was just an adapter to put hydraulic mtn levers on 31.8 bars, which is less of an innovation to be sure.

There have been adapters made for tandems and such that allow you to actuate the hydraulic system with the brake cable, so this is progressive in that it incorporates top mount brake levers into the system. I'm with the others that it looks heavy and I don't care for those little top mount levers anyway so I'm impressed, but not interested.

Whatev's. You just killed my friggin' unicorn, are you happy?

·
The Beast
62 Posts
wunlap togo said:
I didn't look closely enough at the photo, I see what's going on now. I thought it was just an adapter to put hydraulic mtn levers on 31.8 bars, which is less of an innovation to be sure.

There have been adapters made for tandems and such that allow you to actuate the hydraulic system with the brake cable, so this is progressive in that it incorporates top mount brake levers into the system. I'm with the others that it looks heavy and I don't care for those little top mount levers anyway so I'm impressed, but not interested.

Whatev's. You just killed my friggin' unicorn, are you happy?
Hopefully someone will revive the unicorn soon!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Kill yer unicorn?

Nah, I'd vote to let the fabled Wunlap unicorn live on......

Just curious if all the disc advocates will be running 32s this year? Call me old school and since I won't be planning on any UCI elite races this season, I'll stick to my Pauls, my salmons, and my 34s. Work just fine here in Nor Cal, and as I recall they didn't fail in Bend either.

The Wunlap Unicorn. I'm just trying to picture if that would be related to Charlie the unicorn. :)

Season is T minus 46 days, unless you count the DFL kickoff. Woo Hoo

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
veloreality said:
pretty gay.
Dude, there's nothing gay about unicorns. DFL is, perhaps, a little gay. That brake setup- also maybe a bit gay; but you have to remember that it was created in Germany and people do things differently over there. From what I've seen on the internet, sometimes a lot differently.

But unicorns are like any other segment of the make-believe mythical animal population and they come in all different sexual orientations- you can't just paint them with a rainbow brush. Well, you can, and people do all the time, but that still doesn't make them gay.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
wunlap togo said:
Dude, there's nothing gay about unicorns. DFL is, perhaps, a little gay. That brake setup- also maybe a bit gay; but you have to remember that it was created in Germany and people do things differently over there. From what I've seen on the internet, sometimes a lot differently.

But unicorns are like any other segment of the make-believe mythical animal population and they come in all different sexual orientations- you can't just paint them with a rainbow brush. Well, you can, and people do all the time, but that still doesn't make them gay.
A rainbow painted unicorn would be the world champ then ?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Unicorns are cool....but not as cool a ligers.
But we all know that ligers are not legal in UCI events.
I wish the UCI would make ligers legal. This would make for more diverse breeding of ligers.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
wunlap togo said:
. That brake setup- also maybe a bit gay; but you have to remember that it was created in Germany and people do things differently over there. From what I've seen on the internet, sometimes a lot differently.
Home of Scat film!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts