Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a hypothetical question for everyone as I am trying to decide what to do.

You have $1,000 to spend on an upgrade/upgrades, what do you do?

See picture in post below....

***The saddle angle has been corrected, this picture was taken a few weeks ago and it is now level***

My current set-up is as follows:

2012 Scott CR-1 Pro Frame (crash replacement)
Quarq Cinqo Saturn Rotor 3D Crankset (FSA Pro Chainrings 50/34)
Dura-Ace 9000 Bottom Bracket
Shimano 105 Shifters, front and rear derailleur
Shimano Ultegra-6700 Cassette (11-28)
Shimano Ultegra-6700 Chain
Front and Rear Brakes - Shimano BR-R560 (non-series)
Fizik Arione VS Saddle
Scott Road Pilot Pro Handlebars (31.8mm)
Scott Road Pilot Pro Stem (6 degrees)
Scott Carbon/Alloy Seatpost
Easton EA90SLX wheels
Continental GP4000S tires
Look Keo 2 Max pedals
Garmin 500 computer

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
most regulars here will send you to $400-500 handbuilt wheels, and brake pads. I personally don't think the former is necessary.

And at that point, I'd just maybe indulge in a nice seatpost, shoes (or you might already have the right pair), and Praxis chainrings which supposedly are of the best shifting offerings available. From there, you can't complain about a thing on the bike if you've been fitted properly.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
most regulars here will send you to $400-500 handbuilt wheels, and brake pads. I personally don't think the former is necessary.

And at that point, I'd just maybe indulge in a nice seatpost, shoes (or you might already have the right pair), and Praxis chainrings which supposedly are of the best shifting offerings available. From there, you can't complain about a thing on the bike if you've been fitted properly.
Thank you for your response. I currently have a pair of Sidi Genius 5 shoes, nothing fancy but they fit wonderfully. I have also considered upgrading to a carbon seatpost, maybe that's worth a splurge!

It sucks, I learned about Praxis Works after I had the FSA rings installed, maybe next time!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,555 Posts
"You have $1,000 to spend on an upgrade/upgrades, what do you do?"

I have no need to "upgrade" my bike. I have everything that I "need" or want.

I need to upgrade my body.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What I like to do when I have $1,000 available for upgrades is spend $1,100 on the actual upgrade and then an additional 2-300 on the parts necessary to make the upgrade work (case in point... new frame on the way but hey - it needs a braze on FD, might as well get that new Yaw FD and what the heck, the new yaw chainrings supposedly shift better with it too.)

I might not be the best person to ask.

I'll second Vitamin G's vacation recommendation. Your bike is fine as is. Maybe a power meter.

I do think it's funny that you have an $800 set of hand built wheels on there and people are suggesting that you should "upgrade" to a set of $500 hand built wheels.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
The bike looks fine
Spare parts (cassette/chain,cables,housing,tires,etc), spare wheels, tools, trainer/roller (I have an inside ride on my list), power meter.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"You have $1,000 to spend on an upgrade/upgrades, what do you do?"

I have no need to "upgrade" my bike. I have everything that I "need" or want.

I need to upgrade my body.
Agreed! That's what the Quarq is for :) I just started a training plan so we will see how it goes. I'm sure my bike is currently 'faster' than me.

I like the idea of a cycling vacation! We actually already have one planned for the hills of the Ouchita Mountains. Should be fun!

I'm also thinking of getting a Retul or Guru bike fit. They aren't cheap but that may help me more than a new seatpost and stem.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
If that were my bike and I had $1000 for upgrades I'd get new water bottle cages and pocket $925. Or perhaps just by some spare chains, cassettes ect (consumables).

And I'm not saying I'd change the cages due to fashion. It's that I've used those that you have and I launched many a water bottle with them.

Another option for $1000 burning a hole in your pocket would be to get another bike. Perhaps one dedicated to bad weather or a CX bike for a little more versatility in the rides you could do.
A good trainer (if you don't have one) is another option.

·
wots...uh the deal?
1,350 Posts
Yup. Early season like this, head South for some mountains to build power. I ride at a different level after the trip to Colorado in June. (So my 'extra' would be second trip, end of July or so, to see how hard I can ride some of them hills during 'peak' form.)

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
With $1000, I think a riding vacation. Take a trip and do a ride somewhere that will be memorable.
What he said.

I remember a similar what-if brought up in discussions of photography and gear. If you wanna be a gear collector, then do that; nothing wrong with it. If you wanna be a photographer, spend the money to go somewhere, get inspired and make beautiful photographs.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I live in Dallas and the some of the best cycling within 3 1/2 hours is up in the Ouchita Mountains in southeast Oklahoma/southwest Arkansas. We're going up there for a long weekend for a training camp and this will be our longest ride while we are there. Being from Dallas, 5,600 feet of climbing is a lot!

View attachment 276020

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.