Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been riding for a while now (4-6 months) never more then 15 miles at a time twice a day, 2-3 times a week.

About 20 minutes into the ride, both my elbows get very stiff. I have to get my hands off the bars, and swing my arms back and forth to get some relief.

On my road bike, I ride 90% with my hand just over the brakes.

I did move the handle bars up a bit, and did not notice any improvement.

Does anyone know whats wrong with me?

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
KendleFox said:
Does anyone know whats wrong with me?
Probably more than is appropriate to dicuss in Beginner's. :)

Assuming proper fit.....

Try to keep your elbows slightly bent and loose. This will make your triceps sore at first until they get used to the load but you shouldn't get any "stiffness". Try switching up hand positions too. Move from the hoods to the tops to the drops periodically. That will help a lot.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KenB said:
Probably more than is appropriate to dicuss in Beginner's. :)

Assuming proper fit.....

Try to keep your elbows slightly bent and loose. This will make your triceps sore at first until they get used to the load but you shouldn't get any "stiffness". Try switching up hand positions too. Move from the hoods to the tops to the drops periodically. That will help a lot.
I had the handle bars moved up, to get my sit bones on the seat, due to fit problems mentioned in this thread.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=60373

I've been trying to get my bike adjusted right. My best guess is I need a shorter stem, but funds do not permit at this time.

I have tried all the things you have mentioned, even so, about 40 min into the ride, my hands fall asleep too, but the elbows bother me more.

I'm hoping time and endurance will defeat the problem.

Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Saddle angle (aka tilt) has a large effect on arms and hands. If your saddle nose is tilted down, every small bump in the road will have you sliding forward. The normal response to this is to push yourself back with your arms constantly, then locking them as you get tired.

Raising the nose of the saddle a bit will put more pressure on your crotch, so try to find the saddle angle that distributes the pressure evenly between hands and butt. For a lot of riders, that's dead level.

As you get stronger, things will improve. The stronger you pound the pedals, the more weight you're taking off your butt and your hands. That's why slow rides in small gears are painful for a lot of riders - even for those with tens of thousands of miles in their legs.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Comparing both of your threads, something with your fit is really funky and it is just too hard to diagnose over the 'net. At a minimum, get a good set of measurements ( you and the bike) and some good on-the-bike photos and post all the data. We'll help as best we can....

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
KendleFox said:
I had the handle bars moved up, to get my sit bones on the seat, due to fit problems mentioned in this thread.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=60373

I've been trying to get my bike adjusted right. My best guess is I need a shorter stem, but funds do not permit at this time.

I have tried all the things you have mentioned, even so, about 40 min into the ride, my hands fall asleep too, but the elbows bother me more.

I'm hoping time and endurance will defeat the problem.

Thanks for the help...

You should take a look at this article. It will help you understand why you need to raise your stem.

http://www.rivbike.com/html/rr_comfposition.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.