Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I went by the LBS to look for a seat and handle bar bag. The seat bag was 20 bucks and the handle bar bag was 35. I’m a cheap bastard so I went down to K-Mart.

I bought a Bell seat bag for 8 bucks and a Bell handle bar bag for 11.

Then I took off all the labels and dorky white stripes. Now. they look so much better and when someone passes me by on their 1,000 + dollar bike, they won’t know I’m such a cheap skate.

I couldn’t scrape off the Bell label on my speedometer, but oh well, you can’t win them all?

So am I the only cheap skate here?

· On your left!
1,301 Posts
Same here

I always give any one of the 3 LBS in my neighborhood a shot. Last Saturday, after building my Pool Cruiser, I went by a shop to see their selection of 26x2.2 slicks.

They had a set of Kenda's, $29.95 each. My Pool Cruser tab thus far was a whopping $18.00, so I thought the knobbies on the bike were just fine for what I needed the bike for.

Later that evening the family needed a few things and in the bike department at the Local Big Store I cruised through the bike stuff. There, hanging from the rack were 15 to 20 mtb tires. I spied a set of slicks, Kenda's to be exact, 26x2 slicks. $8.95 each, not the same exact tire, but for the Pool Cruiser, plenty good enough.

So, is the LBS going to go out of business because I didn't foolishly (according to my bank account) lay out $60.00 for a set of tires that could be had for $18.00 elswhere...No

Will I send my friends to the Local Big Store for their cycling needs? Never. These big stores will never replace the LBS.

· Registered
168 Posts
KendleFox said:
No, I am a "cheapskate", also. My only reason would be that my funds for my bicycling habit are limited by necessity. Having a wife and 3 daughters, I try to prioritize. I try to spend $$$ on what needs to be well-made. Doesn't have to be new, doesn't have to be the best, but it has to work, and it has to last.

I just bought a Brooks B-17, and I paid less than Nashbar lists it for. But it is still the most expensive component I have ever bought. I bought a Schwinn bottle/cage combo from Walmart yesterday, as well as hose clamps, because I saved $ doing so. $5.95 at Walmart, and it would have been $13-20 at the LBS to get the equivalent. But I do support my LBS's when I can justify the expense. They do my tune-ups, I normally buy tubes, etc, there, and I bought my bike locally.

I love my cycling / bike gear hobby, but if I had to buy the expensive stuff, I would have to quit. My family and its needs are more important, and my "fun" is not as big a priority.

My $.02

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
What this shows is that Bike Shops are being ripped off by their suppliers.

Figure a bike shop is going to double up on any item that costs under $50 (except for tubes which cost a shop less than $1).

You guys bought those bags and tires for less than what a shop would pay.

LBS=tough way to make a living.

· Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MB1 said:
Figure a bike shop is going to double up on any item that costs under $50 (except for tubes which cost a shop less than $1).

I agree.

Some stuff I always get at the LBS, like my bike, pump, lights, ect. But 35.00 for a small duffel bag with velcro straps? I dont feel bad, I have a good relationship with my LBS. We only have 2 in town, and they are in no danger of going out of bussiness.

I too am a 1 income family with a wife and 3 kids, so this makes it hard to justify the cost of wasting money on bike stuff.

It does piss me off that bike stuff is so overpriced. I can only imagine how much more expensive it is up north, or on the East/West coast.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Quality?

KendleFox said:
Last week I went by the LBS to look for a seat and handle bar bag. The seat bag was 20 bucks and the handle bar bag was 35. I’m a cheap bastard so I went down to K-Mart. I bought a Bell seat bag for 8 bucks and a Bell handle bar bag for 11.
If the item at the X-Mart was the same item as at the bike shop, then fine. However, there is a significant chance that the cheap item was just that. IME, it is well worth spending more to get better quality, as the cheap bags often are poorly stitched, the fabric is cheap, things fray easily, straps wear through quickly, and on and on. You have to inspect things carefully to know what you're getting, but the stuff at X-Mart is often "below the minimum" quality required to actually perform as desired.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
If the item at the X-Mart was the same item as at the bike shop, then fine. However, there is a significant chance that the cheap item was just that. IME, it is well worth spending more to get better quality, as the cheap bags often are poorly stitched, the fabric is cheap, things fray easily, straps wear through quickly, and on and on. You have to inspect things carefully to know what you're getting, but the stuff at X-Mart is often "below the minimum" quality required to actually perform as desired.
I just want to know what it is he needs 2 huge bags to carry?

· Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kerry Irons said:
In this case, I challenge you to check out the Bell bags. Their quality is as good or better then the Trek bags I was looking at.

· Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
I just want to know what it is he needs 2 huge bags to carry?
I use my back bag to stuff my tools/tubes in. :D

During the week the front one holds my work clothes. Otherwise it holds my camera, wallet cell phone ect...

· imbasilical moreon
1,894 Posts
MB1 said:

... maybe the shop should buy from Walmart... they could still do their regular mark up, get the same %gross margin, and have a lower retail price to boot ....

· Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
bonkmiester said:
... maybe the shop should buy from Walmart... they could still do their regular mark up, get the same %gross margin, and have a lower retail price to boot ....
My mom owns a specialty toy/hobby shop and on occasion she has actually done that. For example, she can buy Hot Wheels retail at walmart cheaper than she can get them wholesale from her distributor. Of course, as a specialty shop she also has a lot of stuff you will never see at walmart. Nobody goes to her shop for bargains, they go there for the hard to find stuff.

I was being sort of sarcastic with my "Your LBS is going out of business..." comment. I whole heartedly support LBS shopping but OTOH in your situation I probably would have done the same. In fact I have; my rack bag is something I bought for $10 at GI Joes, a major sporting goods chain in the PNW.

Interestingly, the LBS isn't always more expensive. I'm building a touring bike right now and I was preparing to order a Cane Creek S3 headset from Nashbar for $53. but on a whim I called my LBS and when I asked the price for the same headset, they said $50, and if I order it through them they'll install it for only another $10. Given the relative complexity and special tool requirements of headset installation, this makes the LBS route a bargain.

· Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
undies said:
Interestingly, the LBS isn't always more expensive. I'm building a touring bike right now and I was preparing to order a Cane Creek S3 headset from Nashbar for $53. but on a whim I called my LBS and when I asked the price for the same headset, they said $50, and if I order it through them they'll install it for only another $10. Given the relative complexity and special tool requirements of headset installation, this makes the LBS route a bargain.
Good point. My LBS will install anything you buy from them for free, plus you get their warantee protection.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Almost choked last week at the LBS

I neded a FD seat tube clamp to mount a different FD on one of my old bikes, had a triple drivetrain laying around and am building up a true tour/commuter bike. Nashbar had the clamp on sale for $5.95, maybe $2.95? I use the same clamp on my $3K rig. Shipping would be $7.95. Nothing else at Nbar I really needed. Found the clamp by phone at the LBS, I go to pick it up. $15.95!!!! FOR AN ALUMINUM CLAMP!!

But back to seat bags and or commuter bags... I hope I can figure out how to post pics of the bags the commuter will be sporting when it is finished. Truly unique and classic.

Slowmo1, did you figure out how to mount that seat bag yet? I would think 2 real small hose clamps to the saddle rails wrapped just under the curly Q part of that frame will do it.

· Registered
168 Posts
Lone Gunman said:
But back to seat bags and or commuter bags... I hope I can figure out how to post pics of the bags the commuter will be sporting when it is finished. Truly unique and classic.

Slowmo1, did you figure out how to mount that seat bag yet? I would think 2 real small hose clamps to the saddle rails wrapped just under the curly Q part of that frame will do it.
Um, no, but I like your idea! Actually, if you squeeze the rack together, it passes between the frame rails, and then springs back against the rails. It stays pretty good, but I don't know how it will stand bumps. If I am gonna use the rack, then I need to let the straps out so the bag will rest on it. Then it's gonna get in the way of the Blackburn SP-2 rack and bag I have coming. I would mount the bag on the handlebars, but it will get in the way of the Nite Hawk Nomad light I have coming. Ummmm, as you can see, I love Ebay!:eek:

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
KendleFox said:
Aw, he[[s naw. Soy uno cheapskato grande! How could I say "No" to the $8.95 Bell 27X1 1/4" tires at Walmart?

But stay away from the Bell inner tubes. They are way too soft and puncture if you look at them funny.

I've been meaning to get me a new tool pouch...

- FBB

· Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fbagatelleblack said:
Aw, he[[s naw. Soy uno cheapskato grande! How could I say "No" to the $8.95 Bell 27X1 1/4" tires at Walmart?

But stay away from the Bell inner tubes. They are way too soft and puncture if you look at them funny.

I've been meaning to get me a new tool pouch...

- FBB
Stay away from the Hotwheels Speedometer, I broke mine last week :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.