Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the girlie and i get up early saturday am to beat the heat for a 45 mile bike ride. We are about 10 miles into a perfect day when she runs over the biggest piece of glass she can find just before our first causeway. Her tire explodes and shoots glass shrapnel across the bridge and bangs into the guardrail. I have spare tubes for my mtn bike wheels but not for her rood bike so I get to ride back and get my truck. Anyway we get to the bike shop and realize neither of us have much cash on hand so since I'm there about twice a week anyway, he puts on a new tire and tube and says we can pay for it next time. I thought that was pretty decent of him and definitely goes along way to keeping me loyal. ok enough of my novel.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Yeah that was definitely "good" of him to do that. Shows he "wants" your business and did'nt just pass you off. I would make it a point to pay him back and keep the repoire going.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
+1

I went to roll out on Saturday, found I had a broken rear spoke. (Not sure how it happened - I don't remember it from the last ride, and it had the wheel hard against the chainstay....)

The nipple broke in such a way that the spoke was loose, but the remaining part of the nipple couldn't get through the carbon fairing. Rather than cut it out and mess up the measuring, I took the whole wheel down to the shop to get the right size. I only wanted the spoke, planned to fix and true the wheel myself.

They took the wheel in back. "Be a few minutes - the wheel guy is busy right now, and we wanna give you the right spoke." 15 minutes later, they handed back a complete, true wheel. When I asked how much I owed him, the guy genuinely looked surprised. $5, I think only because I asked.

I have to drive three times as far and pass three other shops to get to this place. The other places never see me anymore.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm in the process of setting up a Schwinn Traveler ( you can follow it in the Retro threads) and I talked my loving wife into going to the big city to scrounge for bike stuff. Whole bikes, parts, whatever good stuff I could find. So we hit all the Goodwills, and then started on the LBS's. All of our shops are good, and staffed with good people, but one stood out from the rest in one regard. It has a table piled high with used and NOS goodies, which I browsed but didn't find anything I really needed or could afford. As we were leaving, the owner asked me what I was looking for, and I explained that I had a project I was trying to finish. He told me to get a list together and call him, and he would let me come down, go in the back and sift through all their old parts and castoffs to find what I need. For a guy who could just try to push new merchandise on me, I thought this exceptional!

Not a broken bike story, but hey, a good LBS can help in many ways!

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes we will be riding down there tommorrow so SHE can pay him for her tire and pick up a couple spare tubes. I'm purchasing one of the CO2 pumps for her to keep in her pack, my frame pump is a PITA. They have been getting my business for the past few months after the shop closer to me left a bad taste in my mouth and w/ my mtn bike's hydraulic brakes and new wheelset i've spent close to a grand there already. Lookin into buying a Ridley Excaliber bike from them in the near future.

·
your god hates me
1,602 Posts
I don't understand your emoticon: what does <3 mean? You don't "less than three" your local bike shop... It sort of looks like you're offering them an ice cream cone? Or maybe you'd like to give them a pointy wedge up their arse -- actually, it looks like the wedge is already well inside their bum -- which could certainly be a way of expressing affection for one's LBS, as well as one's SO.

Oh, wait... it's a sideways heart, right? Sorry.

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ha, yeah it took me a while to figure out what I <3 something meant too, but since i figured it out i had to use it in a post so I could be hip like all the young whippersnappers online these days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.