Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i missed the "whining," but thanks for the link!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm a newb to road bikes...but I'd say you don't NEED carbon either. Or wider tires...and the list goes on. I'm biased becuase I am a mtb guy. I'm holding back on a road bike becuase I want to see more options with disc. 5 years from now good luck finding anything but disc.

As a Clydesdale who bombs some pretty knarly ****...disc works and words damn well in wet and dry.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
"At the moment we don't think a high-performance bike needs disc brakes. In the future perhaps, but probably with another braking system. I don't know which, but perhaps even one with the disc attached to the frame or something."

What would change to make discs necessary in the future but not now? And how the heck would a disc mounted to the FRAME be functional?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,951 Posts
"At the moment we don't think a high-performance bike needs disc brakes. In the future perhaps, but probably with another braking system. I don't know which, but perhaps even one with the disc attached to the frame or something."

What would change to make discs necessary in the future but not now? And how the heck would a disc mounted to the FRAME be functional?
Must have sounded better in the original Italian.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
But I don't think that's the case. If it rains, they'll simply go a little slower.
lol

I want to see Sagan descend on the road with discs and a dropper post. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Well Fausto I don't think that $12k road bikes should be mass produced in Asia.
Wherever it's produced, if it's a high end CF bike the CF will be from Asia. So Asians can't make bikes I guess, but they can make the best bike frame material in the world? I'm kinda lost. Given the lack of reality supporting the assertion it just sounds like bigotry.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
What does Fausto call this then?
Hmm. Fair question. Maybe it's like your local Italian restaurant when you order something that combines broccoli and marina sauce. They may throw up a little in their mouth at the thought of it but they will make it for you.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Wherever it's produced, if it's a high end CF bike the CF will be from Asia. So Asians can't make bikes I guess, but they can make the best bike frame material in the world? I'm kinda lost. Given the lack of reality supporting the assertion it just sounds like bigotry.
Its not bigotry. The question is in a country where wages and manufacturing costs are such that they can build a carbon frame for a couple of hundred bucks why does a Pinarello cost many thousands?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts