Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it has more value as a "peace of mind" marketing scheme than real life applicaiton.

All I know is that I always wish my OCLV's had one when racing or wrenching them. Those hangers only appear to be 3 - 5 millimeters thick and the thought of snapping it worries me...

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
who has had to replace a "replaceable" derailler hanger?

I had one welded on my 85 Cannondale (custom job, this frame did not have a "replacable hanger"). And now I've got a 90 Dale and I'm looking at this replacable hanger thinking "yeah right". I'm thinking 9 times out of 10 it is not as simple as unscrewing the 2 screws, swapping, and screwing back together. The aluminum is gonna be bent, etc,etc. So.....to those that have had to do this(not just Cannondales but all frames), was it a simple procedure, a complicated procedure or did it simply not work. Please give details, frame brand, material, etc,etc.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's weird...

how did my reply wind up as your thread title???

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
thread title's not worthy, thread title's not worthy

yes that is odd....maybe I have angered the gods?

In the case of the repaceable hanger on my cannondale 3.0, I don't see how one could end up with a situation where the hanger needs to be replaced but the aluminum that it clamps to isn't bent. Inevitably I'm sure it was mentioned as a "feature" by the salesmen. In the case of my dale it could quite possibly be easier to replace a "non-replaceable" hanger (more Al to weld to) than this replaceable one.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
have replaced 2 on MTB's

1 on a roadie. Considering all were on AL Frames that's 3 dead frames vs 3 sub 10 dollar, sub 20 minute repairs. well worth it. Kinda like wearing a condom, you only regret not using them if something BAD happens.

Did you catch that big Koi? what kind of tackle? Ya know that fish is worth well over a grand.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have seen 2 bent during shipping but none broken/bent during use.

Friction_Shifter said:
I had one welded on my 85 Cannondale (custom job, this frame did not have a "replacable hanger"). And now I've got a 90 Dale and I'm looking at this replacable hanger thinking "yeah right". I'm thinking 9 times out of 10 it is not as simple as unscrewing the 2 screws, swapping, and screwing back together. The aluminum is gonna be bent, etc,etc. So.....to those that have had to do this(not just Cannondales but all frames), was it a simple procedure, a complicated procedure or did it simply not work. Please give details, frame brand, material, etc,etc.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
kinda common in cx races

I've yet to do it but I saw a handful of them at the US Nats in Portland (2004-2005)

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
atpjunkie,

glad you were able to repair 3 aluminum frames quite easily by replacing the replaceable hangers. I caught the koi on a yellow 3" mister twistertail on a 1/8 oz jighead in the scioto river. My brother and I had seen that same fish a few times in the spot we normally fish and one day it went for my lure(we had not seen it yet that day). I knew they were a lot but not $1000. I'm in my koi stance so the fish isn't as big as it appears in the picture. But it was quite big. Biggest koi I've seen. Hopefully we'll see it again this year in the same spot...always liked to see it swimming around.

friction

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
yes was lucky

and like I said it was chaos at the cx nats. mud and sticks was tearing der's off right and left. US 30 Masters Champ Justin Robinson had to run about half a lap because his was all twisted to hell. Good thing he had a HUGE lead.
Koi are expensive, Big Koi are more expensive, Big Koi with good markings are REAL expensive. I had a friend who bought a house (beautiful 1920's Craftsman) with a sweet Japanese Garden in the back. Had a Koi pond and I'd taken some pictures of it just goofing off. His wife (who's notorious for pissing away $) wanted the pond removed as they had a small child. I told them put a grating over it and keep it. He didn't,I came back a week later and it was now turned into a sandbox. I asked him where did the fish go and he said he gave them away. I said "wow you like giving your kids college tuition away?"

he said what,why?

I thought they may close the pond and went with my photos to a Koi Guy. His collection of fish was worth an estimated 10 grand.

ya might wanna go get prices locally on them and bring a big tank next time

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
I did.

Crashed descending at ~25 mph. Bent the d/r hanger.

I didn't do it my own bloody -- I mean, bloodied? -- self, but I limped the bike with the 3 gears it had left to the LBS, which I was thankfully close to. He popped a new one in there in like 10 minutes, good as new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts