Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that the Crit that is my goal event this year is combining the Cat 4's and 5's. :eek:

I was wondering, my race is not until 7:15pm (for 40 minutes) but there is a 35 minute *Masters 35-44 and 45+ (*raced together but scored separately) at 6pm so I was thinking about racing that one as sort of a "practice" race to sort out the corners and riding in a fast pack and get a feel for what Crit racing is all about. Does this sound reasonable?

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Plan to ride at the front of the 4/5 race (first 10 or so). Before your race take a couple high speed laps on the course to find the line and hazards. You could do this multiple times before any of the races. Or, if you enter the masters, realize you won't be as fresh to ride at the front of the 4/5 later.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
It's reasonable if they let you enter. Most Masters races (at least here in the East) don't allow Cat 5's.

6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, I just noticed that there is a 20 minute Novice (Cat 5)/Jr. Men race at 5:30. Maybe I should do that instead of the Masters (as practice)?

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I just found out that the Crit that is my goal event this year is combining the Cat 4's and 5's. :eek:

I was wondering, my race is not until 7:15pm (for 40 minutes) but there is a 35 minute *Masters 35-44 and 45+ (*raced together but scored separately) at 6pm so I was thinking about racing that one as sort of a "practice" race to sort out the corners and riding in a fast pack and get a feel for what Crit racing is all about. Does this sound reasonable?
pedal really fast. if something gets in your way, turn.

//with apologies to Better Off Dead

· Registered
520 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
Hey, I just noticed that there is a 20 minute Novice (Cat 5)/Jr. Men race at 5:30. Maybe I should do that instead of the Masters (as practice)?
sounds ideal. will be a bit slower and give you more time to freshen up for your race. just be careful, sounds like it could be slightly dangerous in terms of possibility of a big pile-up. last thing you need is to bust your frame or your collarbone on a practice race. :thumbsup:

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
I've done that before - race the faster race just to get a feel for the course - it really is different at race speed compared to doing it solo in warmups, plus you get to see where the group goes, what lines they take etc.

Expect to get dropped though, those guys are fast. But if you can hang for a couple/three laps it's worth it. Just don't get all heroic and blow your legs for the main event.

· Registered
491 Posts
If this event is your high priority race for the year, you should have done enough other races before to be able to answer those questions for yourself. I've never done multiple races in one day so I don't know for sure, but I'd say no, don't do an earlier race. If you really want to know the course well, you could check it out some day before the race.

Also, am I right in assuming you are a cat 5? If so, don't be worried about racing with the 4's. There's very little difference between races that are 4-5 combined and separate 4 and 5 races (at least in my area). Maybe just the pack size... But if you're riding where you should be (near the front), the pack size doesn't matter much.

6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Infini said:
If this event is your high priority race for the year, you should have done enough other races before to be able to answer those questions for yourself. I've never done multiple races in one day so I don't know for sure, but I'd say no, don't do an earlier race. If you really want to know the course well, you could check it out some day before the race.

Also, am I right in assuming you are a cat 5? If so, don't be worried about racing with the 4's. There's very little difference between races that are 4-5 combined and separate 4 and 5 races (at least in my area). Maybe just the pack size... But if you're riding where you should be (near the front), the pack size doesn't matter much.
We don't have that many races in this area. I've done the two road races that were less than two hours away. Otherwise it's a three to four hour drive to race.

Cat 5 with three road races of experience.

I can't check out the course because it is in downtown on city streets.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
The Masters race could be double quick.

Rule 1.... Always stay in the front half.....always.
Rule 2.... The race may start real fast, but then again, it may not.....be ready (and warmed up) Don't go to the front in the first three laps, unless you are one of the "Motors".

· Registered
491 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
We don't have that many races in this area. I've done the two road races that were less than two hours away. Otherwise it's a three to four hour drive to race.

Cat 5 with three road races of experience.

I can't check out the course because it is in downtown on city streets.
ahh, I see on the # of races thing. I'm spoiled in southern Wisconsin.

While it may be hard to ride the course at full speed, you can still go check it out. Even if you don't ride it at all, just from looking at it you can get a good idea what it will be like racing, and also knowing what the course is like can help you with strategy / mental prepation / etc..

Most streets are pretty empty at certain times (middle of the night, early sunday morning, etc... ) so you could ride it at least some if you really want. I heard Dave Zabriske rode the TOC Downtown Los Angeles TT course early one morning to scope it out.

And come to think of it, that 20 minute open/5 race could be a good time to check the course.

· but thinking about it
1,441 Posts
Infini said:
Advance scouting isn't bad, but with such short races I don't think it's a problem to do both of them, in most circumstances. (That said, I doubled up at a crit this weekend and in the second race, going into lap 2, I followed an attack that quickly turned into a successful breakaway; after 35 minutes off the front, when we were getting close to lapping the field, guys started letting gaps open up and at that point I had mixed feelings about having done the first race . . . .)

· Registered
9 Posts
Do the novice race first. Get a feel for the course and you can make the decision to just ride by yourself or actually "race" the novice race. Either way, make sure you don't get caught up in the moment and go too hard. Your target race is later in the day.

Good luck!

· Vintage cyclist
1,005 Posts
Around here, most Masters are faster than heck. I think you've got a good idea, use the Master race as recon/warm up.

Also, as previously stated, stay near the front. Crits are hard and fast, and you'll kill yourself having to speed up, then brake for the corners, then sprint again to catch the leaders, then brake again, etc. Up front, you ride at a more steady pace.

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
When I raced in my first Crit I rode the citizens race and then 3 hours later rode the mens combined 4/5.

I got crushed.

However... learn the corners in warmup so aren't that guy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.