Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like, the car came within a couple of feet at the furthest from me as I was riding down the road.

Now, that s.o.b. was about to make a turn, and, there were cars that were moving along the straight I was as well. As a law here, oncoming traffic or rather, the cars going straight have the right of way and turning vehicles have to wait.

The bastard decided to turn anyway, despite it being clear I was going pretty fast on my TT bike. I was aware of this car at the corner of my eye but I did NOT expect the s.o.b. to turn at all.

He/she drove towards me, and was getting closer with each pedal stroke I took. Now, I can't jam my brakes because I'd flip over with these brake pads I just got. I can't turn right since I'd turn into the middle of the car and collide.

I can't do anything but just ride ahead. He (or she) clearly didn't care and kept going.

I thought I was definitely gonna get hit and was mentally prepared to. Needless to say, if I did, I'd probably have broken my leg or worse.

I yelled at the top of my voice and then screeched to a stop right after. The ****er didn't even slow down and continued on his way. I wish he stopped so I could chastise the hell out of him/her and file a report for dangerous driving.

Good God, I was sooo pissed and could have knocked someone out with a punch but at the same time, I was glad I didn't get run over. Of course, my legs were kinda trembling when I coasted right after I saw the car drove away.

It just reminds me that life is unpredictable. I almost bought a new crankset as a result (well, theorizing that life, being unpredictable, should call for a person to enjoy it and hence, my wanting a new crankset).

I decided against it for today and thought I'd get it in the near future maybe.

To reckless drivers who bully cyclists etc, eff you. Get stabbed in teh liverz and a cactus used as a catheter.

Ride safe Loungers.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
FURST...

glad you're OK.

drivers RARELY judge the speed of cyclists correctly. It's clear to us how fast we're going. But not to them. And that's assuming that they see us at all.

Accepting that you're probably going to get struck is scary, huh? I've been hit three times, it doesn't get any easier.

wish there was a lesson to be learned here, or some sage words of wisdom I could offer. But we already know that we love an activity that is rife with inherent risks. Unfortunately, the biggest of those risks (the drivers we share the roads with) have the ability to maim or kill us.

glad you're OK.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JustTooBig said:
FURST...

glad you're OK.

drivers RARELY judge the speed of cyclists correctly. It's clear to us how fast we're going. But not to them. And that's assuming that they see us at all.

Accepting that you're probably going to get struck is scary, huh? I've been hit three times, it doesn't get any easier.

wish there was a lesson to be learned here, or some sage words of wisdom I could offer. But we already know that we love an activity that is rife with inherent risks. Unfortunately, the biggest of those risks (the drivers we share the roads with) have the ability to maim or kill us.

glad you're OK.
True. Well, I was really close actually and that car had a LOT of time to see any oncoming traffic as well.

I swear I thought I was gonna get rammed. I got hit once but that was very mild thankfully and also the driver's fault. It was about 2.75 years ago.

This time, if I was hit, I'm sure I'd have been in the hospital and having a ton of insurance claims etc etc. It's really p*ssing off when you think how nonchalant the driver was.

On the plus side, I've had drivers wait for a fair bit to let me pass before they turn and I always give a friendly wave etc.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
uzziefly said:
On the plus side, I've had drivers wait for a fair bit to let me pass before they turn and I always give a friendly wave etc.
I'm with you on that one. I can get pretty vocal and 'expressive' when a motorist compromises my safety. Just last week a car raced past me then abruptly made a turn in front of me, I barely missed them. Then, as he/she is racing through the parking lot parallel to the road, I nearly run into parked car because I'm busy looking over and giving the driver a double-fisted bird.

On the other end of the spectrum, I always give a smile, wave and mouth a "thank you" to a driver that has made an effort to yield or be accomodating to me on the bike.

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
Glad you're ok Uzzie.

I almost t-boned a car last week because they pulled out in front of me... I swear, since spring started all the crazies have come out.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
weltyed said:
sunday i had some close encounters.

its spring. drivers are unaware. happens every year.
"start seeing cyclists."
We got no spring here.

//Maybe the driver hates Treks. Or Shimano.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Glad you're ok. When approaching an intersection where a driver is attempting to turn (right or left) onto the road I'm traveling on I will stare right at the driver and try to engage them eye to eye. If I can't make eye contact I'm prepared to take evasive action. I'll typically edge out into the traffic lane (if possible and safe) to give me more room to take evasive action and I'll be prepared to brake. Even if I make eye contact I expect they still don't see me and I am on alert. That's about the best you can do. 99% of the time making eye contact tells the driver I'm watching them and they'd better behave. It's that 1% that will getcha.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Almost

is a good word to hear when it precedes "hit by a car." Whew!

In other news, you say new brake pads compromise your performance... you're not, say, riding in the aerobars on a TT bike with, I don't know, carbon wheels, in and among traffic, are you? :)

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Argentius said:
is a good word to hear when it precedes "hit by a car." Whew!

In other news, you say new brake pads compromise your performance... you're not, say, riding in the aerobars on a TT bike with, I don't know, carbon wheels, in and among traffic, are you? :)
Hahahaha.

I was on the base bars of course! Now, I'm pretty comfortable on the aerobars but there are times when such things are just considered stupid :)

I just got new Zipp brake pads (coz they were black vs. the Swiss Stop yellow ones) since the original pads weren't for carbon wheels. I had to ride my carbon wheels today since the rear clincher on my aluminum flatted AT HOME.

The pads weren't really compromising actually. It's just well, pretty strong in terms of braking power actually. I can brake more comfortably but to jam on them in the situation I was in would have spelled flipping over or worse, into the car as it t-boned me. So, yeah.

In other news as well, I see many people ride in their aerobars even in traffic. Now that's just scary. :)

Thanks for the tip Mel Erickson - I usually do that too. But today, that car came up pretty late and I was already picking up more speed too.

·
yup
2,726 Posts
I am glad you are OK, sounds like you could have been very seriously injured or even killed. I have been in a similar position. I found it hard to let go of the anger (impotent though it may be).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts