Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding single speed for a while and I really like it but I thought I might be missing something if I didn't at least try fixed. So, I went out and bought a Phil Wood cog and a Dura Ace lockring and put it on my Kona Paddy Wagon. Well after trying it for a few days I have to accept the fact that I love single speeding and I love having the ability to coast. I really wanted to like fixed, and I read what a lot of you say about riding fixed. On the intuitive level I get it, but on the reality level, it just didn't work out for me. But I do not see this as a loss but as a blessing. It just reminds me to keep doing something that I really love and that is to keep my single speed.

My wheel is a flop flop if I ever want to try again but I think I will stick to what I enjoy. I am glad that others like fixed but for me single speed is the way to go.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
That doesn't make you a bad person.

I'm sure somebody loves you.

Your mother, at least.

Thank you for sharing.

Maybe we need a "not-fixed anonymous" forum.

"Hello, my name is blakcloud, and I am a coastaholic."

· Registered
409 Posts
Laf!

When I tell people they should try fixed it's only because I rode my flip flop SS for a while and sometimes I think, honestly, only because thats how it was set up when I brought it home.

Then I tried fixed and hated it, in fact, if you search my posts, you can probably find the thread where I rant about how fast I'm going to flip that thing over and forget that archaic contraption on the other side even exists. But I stuck with it and I couldn't be more grateful for my resolve.

It seems so common in these forums to here the same story: Rode SS to get confident on a bike in a general sense, tried fixed, and didn't go back.

If you love riding SS great, I don't think less of SS riders. In fact, if you search "NY bike messengers are crazy" on you tube you will see some incredibly skilled NY messengers riding SS in a very cool video.

I just feel like people who ride SS are missing out only because the skills that you can work on and improve are more plentiful on a fixed gear. Me, crazy as everone around here calls me (we don't have many fixies where I live) I ride brakeless and today, for instance, I found myself frantically trying to make a light and, when it turned yellow, I leaned forward and came to a skidding stop instinctively and safely. It's just a feeling you get on a bike that isn't available by any other means.

It's a trend that I have noticed in others across all kinds of hobbies. All one needs is to improve at what it is they have undertaken and it will keep them motivated. But if they stagnate then they tend to get bored and move on to something else. So the assumption that many of us fixie guys make when someone says they don't like fixed riding is that you simply haven't given yourself a fair shake. It's hard at first, but the moment it becomes easier you pour more into it and pretty soon it's natural. Almost like you've learned a second language.

I guess what I'm saying is that riding fixed is involved and challenging in a way that SS riding isn't. And maybe it is my personality that won't let me enjoy a hobby in an idle fashion. When I like to do something it consumes me and, after riding fixed, SS became boring.

I don't think anyone can claim that fixed is "better" but just a matter of taste. What I know about myself is, if fixed riding simply didn't exist, I wouldn't ride nearly as much as I do.

Now, I am 26 and 10 years ago I underwent a full ACL reconstruction. It doesn't bother me at all now but I do know that someday it is very possible that I might not be able to do it anymore. And the thought of that day will haunt me until the very last.

· hello
3,395 Posts
I love both fixed and ss riding although I've been riding fixed much longer than I have ss. That is why besides having my fixed gear bikes I also have a dedicated single speed so I don't have to swap or flip wheels each time I want to ride one or the other. I just grab and go. :D

· The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
roadfix said:
I love both fixed and ss riding although I've been riding fixed much longer than I have ss. That is why besides having my fixed gear bikes I also have a dedicated single speed so I don't have to swap or flip wheels each time I want to ride one or the other. I just grab and go. :D
So now I have this mental image of you riding around with a spare bike strapped to your back. :)

https://cache.viewimages.com/xc/3314659.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=11B127B063386F61E26FB07C58954D2FA55A1E4F32AD3138
https://www.jamd.com/search?assettype=g&assetid=3314659&text=carry+a+spare+bicycle

· Registered
834 Posts
I rode fixed 30 years ago in flat ol' Florida, and loved it. I now ride a SS MTB out here in New Mexico, and to be honest, if I didn't have a freewheel to allow me to catch my breath after a climb, I think I'd be throwin' up...a lot! I see people riding fixies out here, but honestly, I don't know how they do it, with these hills. I notice they're way younger, and lighter than I am, all of them, so that's probably a clue...:)

· Registered
3,096 Posts
roadfix said:
I recently flipped the wheel on my Raleigh commuter to ss. For my short suburban commute it's just "mellower." Kind of more in keeping with the "Barcalounger" geometry of that bike and the fatter tires.

I still like the lightening quick and stiffer ride of the Fuso for longer fun/fitness rides on my days off.

Best of both worlds, I guess.:thumbsup:

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Doggity said:
I rode fixed 30 years ago in flat ol' Florida, and loved it. I now ride a SS MTB out here in New Mexico, and to be honest, if I didn't have a freewheel to allow me to catch my breath after a climb, I think I'd be throwin' up...a lot! I see people riding fixies out here, but honestly, I don't know how they do it, with these hills. I notice they're way younger, and lighter than I am, all of them, so that's probably a clue...:)
agree on the MTB thing...not sure how people ride fixed offroad--at least anything technical. I whack my pedals on rocks enough with the SS as is.

· hello
3,395 Posts
treebound said:
So now I have this mental image of you riding around with a spare bike strapped to your back. :)
I carry my single speed on my back only on those rides which involve very long descents. This is where the single speed really shines.

:D

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Doggity said:
Have you tried it? If you gave it a chance you would stop throwing up soon enough. You might also become lighter if you kept at it.

That said, riding fixed off road is run for reasons that are different than riding SS or geared, and these reasons don't appeal to every rider.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Have you tried it? If you gave it a chance you would stop throwing up soon enough. You might also become lighter if you kept at it.

That said, riding fixed off road is run for reasons that are different than riding SS or geared, and these reasons don't appeal to every rider.
Some day I'll throw a fixed wheel on my 29er and give it a shot.

· Registered
834 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:

Yeah, I will try it eventually. I'm never going to be light as I was, cause I'm now too heavily muscled. But the point about losing weight is well taken...haven't gotten my mojo back yet, since my thyroid was taken out 3 months ago...it's only the last month I've started feeling human, if not my old self again. Selling my roadie probably didn't help that either...:17:

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
I should probably flip my trek around to SS for the summer so I have both (langster has no freewheel) I used the trek fixed for the winter slop and rain because it just works better for me in crap conditions because the brakes on it are sketchy at best.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
'sall good.

I prefer riding fixed, in the sense that it's more enjoyable. But I find SS more practical - easier to cover distance, easier to unweight and hop bad patches of pavement, less thought and planning required in traffic.

Sort of a 'business or pleasure' decision for me.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Doggity said:
haven't gotten my mojo back yet, since my thyroid was taken out 3 months ago...it's only the last month I've started feeling human, if not my old self again.
Wow. Well here's to continued progress on that front.

That reminds me of the moment of realization I had years ago when I just took up riding. I passed a guy on a hill and was feeling pretty pleased with myself and then I thought "wait, how do I know that guy isn't recovering from open heart surgery?"

Also reminds me of a guy that passed me on the climb at the Downieville classic. He had a prosthetic leg and was racing singlespeed.

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
I flipped my wheel around after truing it up this weekend and been commuting on the freewheel. It's definitely a laid back experience compared to fixed riding. I was able to hop up and off curbs easier and I don't think I've been able to lean that far in a turn in a long time.

· Registered
78 Posts
FIXIE MADNESS!
I am now into my third month on fix, and have gone nuts. But, I took a lot of time to get used to it, dared not even go off the sidewalk for the first month. Went out
only at night in school yards and parks to build confidence. After two months dared to ride into Manhattan streets - but I do have years of city experience.

The fix makes ya crazy, really, the connection to the bike is intoxicating. Note, tho, I still ride mostly slower and way more cautiously than regular bike. But like any mind-body
loop, I now find my whole body working to slow down instictively, a long way before any
danger. Also, you really can do some awesome maneuvers since you have such
total connection. I now don't even walk to my corner, but use the fix since it is so much
fun.

Just wanna be sure you did not plunge into challenging riding before you had enough
confidence to handle the thing comfortably. It was pretty terrifying going down my first hill. But I was impressed a lot by the really cool way guys looked on fixed, with a strong
cadence I could spot a block away.

Recent ride on my road bike, a classic Marinoni-Campy, and it felt like mush with all that sloppy coasting and the need to use my
hands and arms to work the brakes. So much lost energy!

Good luck, whatever. Leave the Hummer at home.

Best advice I got early was that it was like learning to ride a bike all over again. And I
still cannot do a long track stand.

Gene - Brooklyn NY

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.