Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't even do one damn pull-up. I'm forced to do the flexed-arm hang to build upper body strength. I am a wuss!

Will this make me ripped like the guys in the commercial?

Maybe I need to "take it to the floor". :confused:

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I use the local playground. That way I can do a few pullups till I can't do anymore, then find a slightly lower cross bar and use my legs to assist to get a few more reps in.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Creakyknees said:
I use the local playground. That way I can do a few pullups till I can't do anymore, then find a slightly lower cross bar and use my legs to assist to get a few more reps in.
Except I really don't want to be seen in public struggling to do a chin up. It ain't pretty.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
welcome to the club, Von.

in elementary school I could never do a pull up and back then I weighted 50 pounds, now I cannot even imagine trying to do a pull up with my lard @ss, I am just a weakling and admit it.:cryin:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I'm thinking you ain't no kind of weakling.

How strong do your arms have to be to ride a bike?

10lb curls may help but pullups? Too much resistance.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MB1 said:
I'm thinking you ain't no kind of weakling.

How strong do your arms have to be to ride a bike?

10lb curls may help but pullups? Too much resistance.
I guessing I'll need a heck of a lot more arm/core strength than I have now. Pulling 200 miles weeks I can slide by without doing any upper body or core workouts. I'm going to need to pull more like 500-600 mile weeks this year, so I'll probably need a little more strength.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
vonteity said:
.... I'm going to need to pull more like 500-600 mile weeks this year, so I'll probably need a little more strength.
We ride those distances.

Lots of reps with light weights are the way to go.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MB1 said:
We ride those distances.

Lots of reps with light weights are the way to go.
Well, ladida!! That would require going to the gym. Nope, not gonna happen... flexed arm hang it is.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
I'm a big fan of 12oz curls (maybe a little more if your pour your beer into a heavy glass). (edit: these would be 11.2oz curls)

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Being weak is not so bad, you could be strong but not be able to do any pull ups because you're fat.

Sorry lousylegs.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
dumbells are cheap. no gym needed.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
vonteity said:
Well, ladida!! That would require going to the gym. Nope, not gonna happen... flexed arm hang it is.
While you're up there do some knee or leg lifts. That will build some core strength.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
vonteity said:
Gallon bottles of water at home.

·
pretty-n-pink
335 Posts
Try the P90X way

That's ok Von,

I use a chair when I do pull ups with my pull up bar at home. Put one leg on the top of the chair back and then try doing the pull up while pushing up on one leg. After using a chair for awhile, you'll be able to do a pull up on your own. At least that's what they say on the P90X dvd.:rolleyes:

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
grrlyrida said:
That's ok Von,

I use a chair when I do pull ups with my pull up bar at home. Put one leg on the top of the chair back and then try doing the pull up while pushing up on one leg. After using a chair for awhile, you'll be able to do a pull up on your own. At least that's what they say on the P90X dvd.:rolleyes:
I did 3 10-second flexed arm hangs, 2 sets of 10 girlie pushups and 2 sets of 10 situps. OMG, I am so weak. But I'll bet I can do one helluva leg press!!

I'll have to try the chair thing, but I think the flexed arm hangs probably build strength in the same way.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
grrlyrida said:
That's ok Von,

i think that may be much better than hanging. this way you are actually doing the exercise and work up to your body weight.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Last weekend I installed a pull up bar in the basement. You have no idea how de-moralized I was to bang out a whole . . . . . one. Yea, one fracking pull up. A few short years ago I was doing one armed pull ups. :cryin:

Of course the Bells Hopslams I am partaking in don't help.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.