Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought I would be having so much trouble with my pedals. Here's the history. I am been riding clippless pedals for ages ( many years ) but as a mtb'er I have used a good carbon shoe and mtb pedal. Never had any issues clipping in on my roadbike. I have been doing more road rides over the last few years so I decided to make the switch from my Nike Carneso / Eggbeater to a Carnac / Look Keo set up. I have almost bailed a few times now trying to clip back in on my local club ride. It slips plastic on plastic feels super sketchy when re-entering it. Once I am in however it is night and day but I am praying I acn track stand long enough for the light to change.

Is this a common problem for these types of pedal / cleat's would a metal pedal ( campy or shimano ) have a better results ?
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,419 Posts
You're not unclipping both feet when you stop, are you? If you are, try NOT doing that--then you have already got one foot in and shouldn't absolutely need to get the second foot in immediately.

The slipping sounds like, regardless of whether you've got both feet out or just one, you're actually putting pressure on the pedal before you're clipped in. In my experience, just about any pedal will punish you for this with your foot slipping off the pedal, usually violently. Changing to a metal pedal probably won't help with that much--my Speedplays, which are NOTHING like your Looks, still do this to me if I'm not careful. It's the nature of the beast.

To counter this, I do a few things:

1. Only unclip one foot (which you may be doing already), so I can keep pedaling with that foot if I don't get instantly in with the loose one.

2. Shift down to a fairly low gear when approaching a stop, so I can keep the bike moving when I start off and don't get the second foot clipped in right away, or so that if I'm forced to try to pedal using an unclipped foot the force applied is MUCH lower--in a higher gear, it's much harder to deal with. You don't want to go to your easiest gear, since you won't generate enough forward momentum, but you want it to be such that if you have to you can keep the bike going by pulling up with the foot that's already in.

3. Start off with my clipped in foot as close to 12:00 as I can get and still launch the bike forward--the longer my downstroke on that side is, the farther I can coast while trying to get my other foot in. I also push off a little with the loose foot, but you have to be careful doing this because your shoes are slippy, as you know.

4. If all else fails, ratchet with the clipped-in foot. This is just pulling the foot back up the front side and pushing down again, just to keep going. This doesn't work very well, but sometimes it's all you've got.

Keep practicing with the cleats and you'll probably be able to get in on the first try most of the time before long.
 

·
your god hates me
Joined
·
1,602 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
4. If all else fails, ratchet with the clipped-in foot. This is just pulling the foot back up the front side and pushing down again, just to keep going. This doesn't work very well, but sometimes it's all you've got.
I've never heard of this ratcheting before, but I see how it could work. But...why ratchet one-footed rather than pedal (complete 360 revolutions) one-footed? Just because it's easier?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input. yes I am only un clipping one foot at a time. sometimes it is a non issue but someone else said it is because I still use the eggs on my mtb and I don't have to think about re-entering as it is 4 sided and the Look's are only one.

I try what you suggested the only reason I am posting is this is on Sunday there was about 60 or so out and at a light I was mid pack near the front and the light turned and sure enough I boggled it and slipped, vered sideways tried again and at the end of that spectacle riders where just riding around me and I found I was staring down at the shoe not at the road and well it was just messed up all around.

thx again
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,419 Posts
Bob Ross said:
I've never heard of this ratcheting before, but I see how it could work. But...why ratchet one-footed rather than pedal (complete 360 revolutions) one-footed? Just because it's easier?
I find it can work when I find myself stuck in a much higher gear than I intended--for me, sometimes trying to pull up when it's too hard can result in cramps/strains. This is definitely a last-ditch thing.

I also ratchet with both feet sometimes when I'm doing very low-speed maneuvering--my frame has a little toe overlap, and at slow speed I sometimes turn the wheel enough that my shoe jams against it. By ratcheting I can keep the "in danger" foot well away from the wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Anthony said:
thanks for the input. yes I am only un clipping one foot at a time. sometimes it is a non issue but someone else said it is because I still use the eggs on my mtb and I don't have to think about re-entering as it is 4 sided and the Look's are only one.

I try what you suggested the only reason I am posting is this is on Sunday there was about 60 or so out and at a light I was mid pack near the front and the light turned and sure enough I boggled it and slipped, vered sideways tried again and at the end of that spectacle riders where just riding around me and I found I was staring down at the shoe not at the road and well it was just messed up all around.

thx again
This is a very temporary issue. We can give you all sorts of tips, but the fact is that you should get pretty darn used to this in a few weeks. I have Look pedals and I don't have to stare at them or slip or fall--no special gifts involved, it's just that I'm used to them and can feel my way around to clipping in without any drama. In the meantime, while you're getting used to the pedals, just try to be in the small ring at lights so it's an easy slow one leg drill if you don't find the spot right away. And--you probably know this--sit down before you stand on the second pedal and don't stand until you hear or feel the click.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top