Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been setting up my Soma Smoothie for a commuter bike and doing some multi day touring. Anyway, I thought I would break it in for a while until I posted a ride report.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Typical scenery going to work. There is a little bit of everything. I have tweaked the Soma and it is riding nice. I am thinking about adding a Brooks just to see what the rage is all about. I have planet bike fenders, a rack, 700X32 tires Panaracer Urban Max tires. It has a mixture of Campy Chorus shifters, a shiftek, deore rear derr., and an SRAM 11/34 cassette, Overall, it rides like a Cadillac. Not real responsive but real smooth. I am pleased with the overall performance.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
What fork is that? I am limited to 25mm on the front tire due to fender clearance on my stock fork. I do use Armadillos which are on the big side. Nice ride, you are right about the non-responsive ride, but it really smooths out rough pavement. For a commuter, it is a good tradeoff. I rode my Pegoretti just under 90 miles on Sunday. On yesterday's commute I stopped once to check the back tire to see if it was going down. Compared to the aluminum race bike, sometimes taking a corner on a compliant frame feels like you have a low tire. You get used to it.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bigbill said:
What fork is that? I am limited to 25mm on the front tire due to fender clearance on my stock fork. I do use Armadillos which are on the big side. Nice ride, you are right about the non-responsive ride, but it really smooths out rough pavement. For a commuter, it is a good tradeoff. I rode my Pegoretti just under 90 miles on Sunday. On yesterday's commute I stopped once to check the back tire to see if it was going down. Compared to the aluminum race bike, sometimes taking a corner on a compliant frame feels like you have a low tire. You get used to it.

I have the smoothie ES.

The fork is a steel IRC. It was a two man lift to get it installed on the frame, I swear it is the heaviest fork I ever picked up in my life. It had about 20 inches of steerer tube sticking out of it and I cut a bunch off and left a bunch. It must weigh close to what the frame weighs. I figured I would put 32s on the front just because I could. I have them pumped up to 95psi and will probably deflate them to 85 or 90 to check out the feel. These things measure out close to 32s.

I think the frame is a 62cm and it is real close to my limit on standover. I thought the top tube would be real long but I have a 150mm stem on it to stretch me out. So far ( around 300 miles) I really like it. I jumped on this 200.00 frame largely because Bill kept showing those Soma commuting pictures from Hawaii.

I love, I mean really love the 11/34 Campy setup. I take that heavy bike on hills and have the option of not having to stand up if I don't feel like it. I was climbing 12 to 14 percent stuff and could still stay in the saddle. I am psyched for my three day cycling/camping trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.