Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I see a nice car.

I was out riding my bicycle today. At a traffic light I was standing right next to a shiny C6 convertible at the front of the line. His top was down and I was looking down on him and said "Nice car.." He didn't look. His radio was on but I was at 2 O'Clock in his visual field looking at him. I said one more time, "NICE Car!" Still no response. I felt like an idiot. He is either too proud to take another man's compliment or he was sick and tired of people commenting on his car. The light changed and he took off. I went on my way. I am never giving any more compliments to Corvette drivers. NO MORE!

· Registered
3,866 Posts
Maybe he did not hear you.. and was in a different zone....I'm a little hard of hearing myself. Some people think that I am rude, but that's not the case....or maybe he had good hearing and was rude..I would not loose any sleep over it..takes all kinds to make the world go round...

· Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
I saw a guy on a Ducati xerox replica at an intersection I was passing through and gave him the universal "very nice" hand gesture (index finger and thumb together). He acknowleged with a nod and a wave. I even got a nod out of a guy on a GSX-R once... maybe it's a two wheel thing. I ignore cage drivers when I ride. They're already confused enough about my presence on the road, I don't need to help them.

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
edhchoe said:
I am never giving any more compliments to Corvette drivers. NO MORE!
Give ME a compliment and *I* won't ignore ya. I've never ignored anyone yet that gave me one. The best are from kids. A great one was from a guy I didn't see. I was stopped at a red light; just setting off; and a voice came from a 2nd storey balcony, slightly behind me, said "That's a real nice Corrr-vet ya got there sir; can I hear its horn?" So I beeped, drove off and the wife and I waved through the open roof.

Last summer I was riding back towards the city on my bike and a Corvette was coming towards me. I gave the guy the "Corvette Wave" and he waved back.

The guys here that stereotyped Corvette drivers, especially those with auto tranny cars, made me smile. :) I guess you never met me.

· Registered
663 Posts
edhchoe said:
when I see a nice car.

I was out riding my bicycle today. At a traffic light I was standing right next to a shiny C6 convertible at the front of the line. His top was down and I was looking down on him and said "Nice car.." He didn't look. His radio was on but I was at 2 O'Clock in his visual field looking at him. I said one more time, "NICE Car!" Still no response. I felt like an idiot. He is either too proud to take another man's compliment or he was sick and tired of people commenting on his car. The light changed and he took off. I went on my way. I am never giving any more compliments to Corvette drivers. NO MORE!
A Corvette is a nice car? Seriously? He probably thought you were being sarcastic. If he was in a Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, Pagani Zonda, or SLR he probably would have acknowledged you and smiled.

· Registered
2,746 Posts
fleck said:
i get a lot of compliments on my car by cyclists. I think few have seen a bently with a rocky mounts rack system...
I am going out on a limb and guessing that if you actually had one, you would know how to spell Bentley. :p

On a side note for the Corvette bashers... for those in the know (autophiles and such), the C6 hands down is the best bang for the buck sports car in the world. At $50k, they really aren't that expensive and its handling competes or beats cars that cost 4 or 5 times as much. If you were inclined to get a great performance car that was "relatively" affordable, easily maintainable, and pretty reliable... it truly is in a class by itself.

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/

I am going to go on record saying that owning a Corvette doesn't necessarily mean you are as someone so elequently put it "a douche"... although the potential douche factor probably does go up a tick if you opt for a flashy color convertible, even moreso if ANY chrome parts are added. I would say that most that opt for a 6 speed hardtop or Z06 did so because of a passion for driving.

Now once apon a time you could prejudge a little if it had an automatic transmission instead of a manual, but now that the autos come with a paddle shifter, an argument for sporty driving can be made either way.

http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/corvette/2008/auto_shifter_en.jsp

· Registered
14,776 Posts
edhchoe said:
wh His top was down and I was looking down on him and said "Nice car.." He didn't look. His radio was on but I was at 2 O'Clock in his visual field looking at him. I said one more time, "NICE Car!" Still no response. I felt like an idiot. He is either too proud to take another man's compliment or he was sick and tired of people commenting on his car. The light changed and he took off. I went on my way. I am never giving any more compliments to Corvette drivers. NO MORE!
He prob'ly thought you were hittin' on him. Or he just didn't hear you. Or he was having a bad day, or was lost in some important thought. Maybe his wife just left him. Maybe his mother just died. Maybe his car is about to be repossessed. Maybe he's a shy guy who just doesn't feel comfortable talking to strangers.

Don't overreact. You shouldn't feel like an idiot, and you don't have to stop being friendly just because one person (probably inadvertantly) failed to respond. I'm sure every one of us has unknowingly done something that appeared rude to another.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Why would you give a compliment to someone's car?
Why would you give a compliment to a stranger's bike?

I wear my opinions on my sleeve.......(or at least my chainstay protector)

· Registered
428 Posts
This reminds me of the old Corvette joke...

livin4lax09 said:
haha. corvette drivers....

they just scream "look at me, I have money!"

I agree, seen too many in automatics.

What's the difference between a cactus and a Corvette?

Corvettes have their Prix on the inside :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.