Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally if I want B&W I'll just shoot that way. This one seemed to call out for a crop and conversion.

What do ya think?

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
MB1 said:
Normally if I want B&W I'll just shoot that way. This one seemed to call out for a crop and conversion.

What do ya think?

yes, much better.... what is this shoot that way of which you speak

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
svend said:
yes, much better.... what is this shoot that way of which you speak
If I want B&W I take the color pixels out of the camera and just use the B&W ones. :blush2:

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
I think it was a good call.

/Adults in Peanuts cartoons voices

So does my wife.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Looks better with the urban theme going.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Not sure I like the glowing nutsack...just me.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Definitely the B&W is better than color. And I also think the crop works better as well. The shot is made by the street sweeper, great shot!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
O likee the color one actually, nice gradients. The longer overpass length in shot also gives continuity to the line.

That said the B&W is much more about the bike and rider.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
I like the crop and the color.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
The glowing leg hair is really throwing me off

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
I'm touchy about cropping into odd aspect ratios. The crop brings out the biker and street cleaner, but it's too square. But both are odd aspect ratios so there's that.

I like the color more, but that might only be because of the dark color of the sky. That part is cropped out in the second version, so with the crop the b + w might work better.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Do you stage these photos? Like round up the street sweeper and biker and yell "GO" or were you walking along into this coincidence?

Either one, very very nice.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rcekstrom said:
Do you stage these photos? Like round up the street sweeper and biker and yell "GO" or were you walking along into this coincidence?

Either one, very very nice.
Thanks.

I was taking a barrage of cyclist photos with the camera (Olympus EP-1 ) held at foot level. Lots of them came out well, this was the most interesting.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=220373

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
I don't know if it's because I have a crappy monitor, but these all feel to dark.

I love your work, but for whatever reason, these aren't working for me. Cropped or not.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I like the color. It's almost monochrome anyway. The b&w would be better with a little less contrast, and a little more detail and grayscale in the dark areas, especially the cyclist.

Just dodge it a little on the next print.

And then airbrush that camelbak tube out of there. It looks like he got shot with an arrow.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think the colour version captures the warm glow of a summer evening really well, the wider frame makes it more interesting to me. The B&W shot is nice but falls short compared to the colour version imo.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
I'm touchy about cropping into odd aspect ratios. The crop brings out the biker and street cleaner, but it's too square. But both are odd aspect ratios so there's that.
time to think outside the bun...

·
I drank what?
3,229 Posts
Not as good as your normal photos. Might be my monitor as well, but yeah they appear too dark or maybe it's just the composition.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts