Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a short ride yesterday afternoon. When I walked into the garage, I saw my saddle bag sitting on my work bench. I thought to myself "it's just a 25 miler, so I won't need it" and tossed it back on the bench.

Well you guessed it. I passed a guy and he said "hey your back tire looks low." I proceeded to cuss myself for not bringing my saddle bag along. Luckily the guy stopped with me and he was fully stocked with pump, tubes, etc. I proceeded to change the tire and get everything up and running again.

I apologize profusely for being unprepared and offered to send him a few tubes or some cash to replace what he gave me. He said no. I said "well how about I go buy two tubes at our LBS and you can pick them up next time you are in." Once again he said no thanks. The only thing he wanted was for me to help the next guy on the road who needs it. I said I would definitely do it and thanked him for about the 20th time. We rode together for a while before we went our separate ways.

So Steve, thanks again for your good deed. I'm on the hook now to help someone else, which I will do gladly. I'm a big believer in kharma. Kindness from strangers is always a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Since...

innergel said:
I went for a short ride yesterday afternoon. When I walked into the garage, I saw my saddle bag sitting on my work bench. I thought to myself "it's just a 25 miler, so I won't need it" and tossed it back on the bench.

Well you guessed it. I passed a guy and he said "hey your back tire looks low." I proceeded to cuss myself for not bringing my saddle bag along. Luckily the guy stopped with me and he was fully stocked with pump, tubes, etc. I proceeded to change the tire and get everything up and running again.

I apologize profusely for being unprepared and offered to send him a few tubes or some cash to replace what he gave me. He said no. I said "well how about I go buy two tubes at our LBS and you can pick them up next time you are in." Once again he said no thanks. The only thing he wanted was for me to help the next guy on the road who needs it. I said I would definitely do it and thanked him for about the 20th time. We rode together for a while before we went our separate ways.

So Steve, thanks again for your good deed. I'm on the hook now to help someone else, which I will do gladly. I'm a big believer in kharma. Kindness from strangers is always a pleasant surprise.
Since a few years back when I had a couple of bolts come loose on my stem, and was ridden past by about 15 guys before someone stopped and had a wrech for me to use, I always carry tools, but the biggest thing I took away is that if I see someone stopped on the side of the road, I always ask if they're good to go. I have been able to lend out a few tubes here and there, a wrench or 2, and other things like that (helped a newb get her chain back on her bike, and things like that). I don't mind doling out a tube here and there, but always mention to the person I'm helping out, sort of like what your guy did, hey, just help someone else out on down the line if you can. It's all good. My one small way of paying it back and forward I guess.

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
whenever i see anyone stopped by the side of the road i always yell out and ask if they're alright and if they need anything. I've stopped to help newbies who were fully stocked with spare tube, pump, patch kit etc etc etc but who just couldn't figure out how to use a pair of tire levers.
I, too, have been helped in times of dire need, and even if some people didn't have a spare tube to give me they did stop to make sure i was fine.
Sure there are people out there who never help out the others, but whatever. When i stop to help i don't ask them if they help other's in need when they see them, i just think that for 3 euros or a bit of my time i can make someone else's ride not miserable!
Having said that, its always good to bring a multitool,, a tube, a patch kit and some means of inflation... The kindness of strangers often works, but only IF there are strangers around...

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm usually well stocked. I have small saddle bags on all my bikes with all the requisite tubes, patch kits, levers, CO2 cartridges, cash, etc. But I had just built up this bike and had not put the saddle bag on yet. Looking back, right after a build up is the time I'd most likely need the dang saddle bag. Fail.

While I was stopped it seemed like almost everyone that passed asked if I was OK or needed anything. So yesterday was a particularly friendly day on the roads. Good job Dallas riders!

I definitely have to pay this forward. I've done plenty of it before and will be happy to do it again.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
A couple years ago I was on one of those big multiday organized rides, and on the second day my rear hub "exploded" and wasn't able to be fixed. On the sag back, we came across a group of early 20 somethings, and one of the women had a flat. None in the group had tools or supplies.

So I got out and gave her a tube, and ended up having to change it to because no one there knew how to do it. I told her if I couldn't ride, then she would have to ride for me.

That was the result of me having been helped about 4 years ago by a stranger when I broke my chain, and he came along and fixed it.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I can usually stuff what I need in my jersey pockets and can pack a full length frame pump for air. I do carry a saddle bag -extra patches, tire boots, spare tube etc. Not too many riders on the road M-F in the morning.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
I've had 3 or 4 cases where I've had the excuse to ask if someone was ok and they all were. the only time anyone needed help, they flatted and I was driving past them going to work, but I didn't have anything to help them with :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
I try to make a habit of always stopping and asking if I can help someone when they are obviously having a bike related problem. When I first started really riding I was about 30-40 miles from home and wiped out and twisted my chain bending 3-4 links. There was no bus an no one I could call. After about 30 minutes of trying to bend the chain back into shape with a rock another rider stopped to see if he could help. I explained the problem and he reached into his saddle bag and pulled out a chain tool and showed me how to use it. From my perpsective at the time he was a life saver, from that point on I always made it a point to carry enough tools and spare bits and pieces to handle pretty much anything short of broken frame or taco-ed wheel and always stop to help when I see someone stuck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.