Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight for dinner I had cold leftover chinese. It was gross. I don't understand - it's like I woke up one day with no memory of anything good to eat and no creativity left to think up something new. I've been subsisting on ravioli (thank you, chef boyardee) and popcorn. I hope this is just a phase.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dude, I've got a freezer full. They're better from the oven, but now I hate them. Also on my list of hates are chicken flavored ramen noodles, pepperoni pizza lean pockets, and frozen veggie egg rolls. Pretty much anything frozen.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Gig 'em said:
Tonight for dinner I had cold leftover chinese. It was gross. I don't understand - it's like I woke up one day with no memory of anything good to eat and no creativity left to think up something new. I've been subsisting on ravioli (thank you, chef boyardee) and popcorn. I hope this is just a phase.
one word: one dollar tony's pizzas.

microwave for 2min 25sec and yer golden.

add cholula and yer platinanium and stuff.

add fresh ground black pepper and i'll marry yer ass.

HTH! etc etc.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
This ones quick and easy.
Get some scallops (dry sea scallops not that bay crap). Get some garlic ritz crackers and pound them into a fine powder.
Roll the scallops thru a little olive oil and then the ritz cracker powder.
Broil until done and serve on a bed of rice.

I'm trying something new with scallops this weekend, stay tuned.......

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds great except for the scallops part. Maybe I could do it with chicken. :rolleyes:

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really? They're soy beans?

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Gig 'em said:
Just run yerself down to the local supermercado and buy yerself some of that edamame. They're soy beans, you know. Real good eats.

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Yes, run yourself down to the supermarket and buy anything that doesn't come in a carefully engineered package with a pretty picture of a meal on it. By this I mean, buy ingredients, not meals.

Then go home and stand in front of your stove and figure out how to throw these things together in an interesting way.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Gig 'em said:
That sounds great except for the scallops part. Maybe I could do it with chicken. :rolleyes:
Not a bad idea. If your going to use chicken swap the olive oil for egg and make the ritz crumbly instead of powdery.

G

·
Pretty much is a phase, but to get over it go buy some eggs, some cheese maybe some ham slices.

Make a real honest to god omelette, maybe some french bread with it,

simple easy and quick to prepare stuff is what gets you over it.

I'm a good cook and I love cooking but I went through spells when I was single that I look back on now and go "?"

There was a pizza joint to die for at the end of my block, I used to stop there every night for a while, pick up a pizza, suck back the pizza and a beer or three then get on the trainer.

I swear once I kicked myself out that little phase it was months before I could eat pizza.

Simple and quick.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm hoping my problem is similar to your pizza joint. I can cook any recipe you put in front of me, I've just run out of creativity and motivation. The other night I made breakfast for dinner and that went okay. Maybe I'll try that again tomorrow.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
firstrax said:
Not a bad idea. If your going to use chicken swap the olive oil for egg and make the ritz crumbly instead of powdery.
I've done something similar with cheez its and pork. I know, it sounds weird. It's really good, though.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really like fresh mex style. One of my favorite things to make are black bean burritos - black beans simmered in lime juice with a couple tablespoons of tomato-based sauce (usually my homemade salsa), minced garlic, cumin, cilantro, and some other spices over a bed of lettuce and melted jack cheese.

But there's only so many times you can eat something before you tire yourself of it.

Maybe I just need to buy a new cookbook.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
What is your favorite type of food? Mexican, Chinese, Italian

I cook a variety of cuisine and almost always have dinner on the table in less than 35 minutes.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
pan roast some meat

Here's a real basic pan roasting recipe that has endless variations:

Go buy some boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Preheat your oven to 425. Pat them dry, salt and pepper both sides, then saute over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side in some canola oil in a skillet. Do not use a non-stick or cast iron skillet. You want to sear the meat, so look for nice browning (carmelization) on both sides. Don't force it. It may take longer than 3-4 minutes. Chicken will typically release from the pan nicely when it is ready. After the second side, pop the whole pan into the oven (make sure your pan is oven safe) for 5-8 minutes.

When done, take the chicken out of the pan, put on a plate and cover with foil or a bowl. Drain the excess fat from the pan. Don't wipe out or clean the pan!!!

Now comes the creative part. You'll need some stock, some red wine, and some seasonings. Chicken stock, beef stock, whatever. You'll probably want some aromatics, too: garlic, shallots, onions, leeks, etc. If you add aromatics, add a little extra virgin olive oil and saute them a bit. Now, add the stock, and deglaze the pan (this means to "clean" it by using the stock to scraping off all the bits of chicken stuck to the pan). Let it reduce a bit (boil off some of the liquid), then throw in some red wine. Use the good stuff. Let it reduce about half, then add some thyme or oregano or whatever seasonings you like. Now you have a great restaurant quality pan sauce for the chicken, and I promise, you will be amazed at how it tastes. Salt and pepper to taste.

If you are really feeling daring, throw in a can of petite diced tomatoes, and let it cook for another 10 minutes.

Pour a spoonful of the sauce over the chicken and eat!

You can do this with pork or beef, too. Like I said, the technique is simple, but the variations are endless.

For valentine's day, I made my wife a variation of this using beef tenderloin. For stock I used veal demi glace, and I threw in sliced cremini, shiitake, and porcini mushrooms. The porcinis were dried, so I had to soak them in water to rehydrate them, and that water also went into the sauce. Add some good cabernet sauvignon, and you have yourself a better meal than you will find in a restaurant.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Gig 'em said:
I really like fresh mex style. One of my favorite things to make are black bean burritos - black beans simmered in lime juice with a couple tablespoons of tomato-based sauce (usually my homemade salsa), minced garlic, cumin, cilantro, and some other spices over a bed of lettuce and melted jack cheese.

But there's only so many times you can eat something before you tire yourself of it.

Maybe I just need to buy a new cookbook.
Quick Mexican food

We have a rice cooker and keep cold rice or steam fresh rice.

Brown some burger, chicken, or pork chunks in a skillet. Season with crushed red pepper, garlic, salt pepper, chili powder. Add some onions and saute. Drain grease if needed. Add a can of drained pinto beans. Add some salsa. Simmer for 10 minutes. Throw some rice in at the last second and throw on a burrito. Add lettuce, raw onion, cheese and sour cream. Gotta throw a little hot sauce on too.

Start to finish 20 to 25 minutes.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Make a two day meal.

Take a frozen chuck roast and throw in a pot in the morning before work. Add salt, pepper, worchestershire sauce, 2 bay leaves, and a cup and a half of water. Top it with potatoes, celery, carrots, and onions all rough cut.

Put it in the oven and time bake at 350 degrees for two hours. Eat the roast and vegetables.

With the leftovers, leave in the same pot add a big can of tomato sauce and a can of corn, green beans, and pinto or lima beans. Simmer for an hour and you have beef stew for the next supper. Buy a loaf of crusty bread and serve with soft butter.

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
Gig 'em said:
I'm making spanish style chicken livers tonight deglazed with sherry. Served up on freshly baked bread. Plus some boiled sting beans with garlic.

Oh, and vanilla ice cream for dessert. :)

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Tonight was Marinated White Salmon from Trader Joes, spinach sauteed with shallots, potatos and salad.

Love Trader Joes, you can get all the fixings for a meal that can be prepared in under 30 minutes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts