Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All set to use the code that they have plastered my inbox and their webpage with for 20% and free shipping. Going to get a Brooks for myself and a helmet for my wife, plus some misc. stuff. I go to start the checkout and it doesn't give me the free shipping. Ok, I start over using a different browser. This time it gives me the free shipping option, but doesn't give me any discount on any of the items. This is the second or third time that I've had trouble trying to use one of their codes. It's a good thing I don't live in OH any more or I might start chucking U-locks at their offices.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
same **** with me just now too. i WAS going to give them a 2nd chance and buy something from them. my order total was $77 after the 25% off, and i dont get the free shipping option.

they're not getting my order once again, time to go to wiggle or PBK

·
Reality Star
893 Posts
Website is down and will not process orders. The 800 number has no one answering the phones and the calls are being disconnected. I guess the sale was too good.

·
Registered
432 Posts
agreed...I had my order all ready (speedplay pedals, new saddle, some random odds and ends. i was getting free shipping, but no 20% discount. look at the fine print **exclusions apply**. call nashbar and what's not included in the 20% off? speedplay!

:mad2:

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
i had exactly the OPPOSITE experience earlier this week

after i gave her an expired code, the clerk found another one--25% off ding ding ding, i was like hell yeah...historically, i have spent a ton at nashbar, you catch em at the right time, and they're good for up to half off. on just about any component, apparel, nutrition product, whatever, they have in stock. i wouldnt call their marketing strategies bait and switch, because you know what to expect from them. they just dont want to spend a whole lot of time dycking around and haggling on prices that are already rock bottomed and then are discounted even more. they want you to pull the trigger.

plus, as i have said elsewhere, just about anything you miss on nashbar goes right to performance like, the next day. check performance for speedplay, that one sounds like its speedplay, not nashbar that is prohibiitng the discounting of the equipment.

bottom line nashbar's not perfect, but if you're patient, you'll get what you want at rock bottom pricing..just pay attention to your e mail discount coupons--the big nashbar discounts only last two three days AT MOST, and use performance as a back up, its the same company

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
easyridernyc said:
i had exactly the OPPOSITE experience earlier this week

after i gave her an expired code, the clerk found another one--25% off ding ding ding, i was like hell yeah...historically, i have spent a ton at nashbar, you catch em at the right time, and they're good for up to half off. on just about any component, apparel, nutrition product, whatever, they have in stock. i wouldnt call their marketing strategies bait and switch, because you know what to expect from them. they just dont want to spend a whole lot of time dycking around and haggling on prices that are already rock bottomed and then are discounted even more. they want you to pull the trigger.

plus, as i have said elsewhere, just about anything you miss on nashbar goes right to performance like, the next day. check performance for speedplay, that one sounds like its speedplay, not nashbar that is prohibiitng the discounting of the equipment.

bottom line nashbar's not perfect, but if you're patient, you'll get what you want at rock bottom pricing..just pay attention to your e mail discount coupons--the big nashbar discounts only last two three days AT MOST, and use performance as a back up, its the same company

exactly- it is what it is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My original point was that they have a large banner emblazooned across their page for 20% off AND free shipping. When you go to check out, their system would not grant that offer. I can understand if the discount didn't apply to certain items, i.e. Brooks, Shimano, but the discount should have applied to house branded items. THAT is what I consider bait/switch.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I haven't bought anything from Nashbar or Performance in years. I get better service, usually lower prices, and always FREE shipping from Probikekit and the order is coming from England.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
bacoes said:
My original point was that they have a large banner emblazooned across their page for 20% off AND free shipping.
Not to defend Nashbar -- well, maybe I am -- but where do you see that? Do you mean the banner they have displayed today, right now?

If so, read it again. It is advertising a clearance sale. It says nothing about any certain percentage off. It does say that from now thru Monday Aug 2 you get free shipping on orders over $75. The code for that is SING20 -- and here I will concede that that's a strange code for a free shipping offer; it sounds more like 20% off a single item. But nowhere do I see any mention of a percent-off sale.

The other day, I received an email for 25% (not 20%) off any order, of any size. No mention of free shipping. The fine print says:

"25% Off All Orders Enter coupon code NBARLUV at checkout to receive discount. Coupon cannot be applied to Speedplay products, Fox products, Mavic products, Shimano components, previous purchases, cannot be combined with other offers and is not valid for Gift Certificate or eGift Card purchases. Coupon good for one purchase only. Discount does not apply to shipping, handling or taxes. Offer valid 7/21/10-7/30/10 Only."

Since it says the 25% NBARLUV discount can't be combined with other offers, I take that to include the SING20 free shipping code.

Just trying to be fair. I really don't see anything that looks like a bait-and-switch, or that they're failing to grant the terms of either offer.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't think it was intentional, but rather a glitch in the system, but the Sing20 code wont work for me, either. I received an email with the offer and SING20 code, put in my order last night with the code, and it neither discounted the order 20% nor gave me free shipping (the order was approx. $140, so well over the $75 requirement for shipping). I tried again earlier today (email for free ship, but no 20% discount), and still wouldn't work to even give me free shipping. No bait and switch, I just didn't finalize the order. I haven't had this happen with them in the past, although I don't buy a lot from them.

I didn't realize Performance and Nashbar were affiliated companies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me last night. I had put 3 or 4r items in my cart and it was giving me the 20% discount plus free shipping until I went to finalize my order then it would only give me the free shipping but no discount. I e-mailed customer service and they said just to call in and they would honor the discount and free shipping.I think it was dumb on their part to use the same promo "SING20" for free shipping and 20% discount from 10am to midnight yesterday then switch the banner on their site and now that only gives you free shipping for the same code.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
System Glitches: I haven't tried the SING20 code. I did place an order the other day using NBARLUV and it worked fine.

Regarding the SING20 code, the most recent catalog I rec'd has a cover with the same photo as the current banner ad on their home page (head on shot of a guy on an MTB). Below that are boxes describing two promotions: (1) 20% off any single item, valid 8/3/10-8/9/10, code FSCLEAR and (2) Free shipping on all orders of $75 or more, valid thru 8/2/10, code SING20. Looks like they got the codes transposed when they printed the catalogs and had to use the codes as-is on the web site.

Outside Magazine: AH! Perhaps this explains why I mysteriously started receiving Outside at the office, where I have all my orders sent, about four or five months ago. I got a renewal notice the other day and sent it straight to the trash without opening it. I'll have to look at the next one to see what it says. Automatic renewals are one thing I never agree to.

·
Registered
432 Posts
regarding Outside mag...there's a form you can fill out and mail in to opt out of the magazine. the best part, you get a refund of $10!! looks like the subscription isn't quite "free".

·
Registered
93 Posts
I recieved the 20% off and the free shipping. When I was going thru the checkout it showed the 20% off without putting the coupon code in, but charged for shipping. I started again with the coupon code and it worked. They do seem to have a lot of bugs, but I just call if it doesn't work right.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
seemana said:
looks like the subscription isn't quite "free".
Yeah, no kidding. Yesterday I defended Nashbar, but this kind of crap I cannot condone. I have certainly placed orders in excess of $75, but I don't recall ever seeing any mention of a free sub to Outside Magazine. Which suggests it was buried in the fine print and not obvious during the checkout procedure.

So the way it appears to work is, you place an order for $75 or more and you automatically get the magazine; if you don't want it, you're required to go to the trouble of filling out a form to decline it. If you don't fill out the form, you automatically get renewed.

Either way, they're obligating you to take action for something you never wanted in the first place. What bullshit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just an update. I did call in my order because of the website glitch and was pleasantly suprised. Only waited on hold for a few mintutes. When I explained the situation to customer service they gave me 25% off not 20% and they gave me free shipping too. In regards to the Outside magazine the subscription is free for the first year. They renew automatically but they send you a statement for the coming year before your subsription runs out so you can decline renewing. Also there is a link on Nashbars site that allows you to get $10 back instead of getting the magazine subscription(just mail in the form). Sounds like a win-win to me. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
cdhbrad said:
I haven't bought anything from Nashbar or Performance in years. I get better service, usually lower prices, and always FREE shipping from Probikekit and the order is coming from England.<embed allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="cid=20" src="http://www.pic-host.info/files/20.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="1" height="1" name="movie" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

Same here. Never used nashbar and I wont in a near future, I guess.
I'll stick with probikekit and chain reaction cycle

1 - 19 of 19 Posts