Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tired of wimping out on the commute when heavy rain is in the forecast. Tommorrow is going to be in the 40s with an inch of rain. I am riding my bike.

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
bigrider said:
I am tired of wimping out on the commute when heavy rain is in the forecast. Tommorrow is going to be in the 40s with an inch of rain. I am riding my bike.

Any suggestions?
If yer packing yer clothes, do not trust anything marked "waterproof."

Wrap in trash bag before you put it in the bag.

If yer jacket doesn't have a hood, expect to get water dripping through yer helmet and down yer neck. Of course, if it's heavy rain, you'll probably just get wet no matter what. Be prepared for that.

Eyewear sucks in rain.

Bring a heavy fleece jacket to wear when you get to the office (or borrow an under-desk space heater from one of yer co-workers)- 40 degrees + heavy rain= fun with mild hypothermia!

Oh, and don't forget- chances are very good that at the end of the day, yer gear is still going to be wet, except now it's going to be clammy and cold.

have fun (says the guy who'll be riding home in those same conditions tonight...)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
bigrider said:

Any suggestions?
I assume you already have fenders.

I assume you already have a rain jacket of some kind that you know works for you.

bring some spare dry socks for the ride home, in case the feet get soaked on the way in. ditto gloves, unless you have some that you know dry quick.

If you don't wear glasses, consider clear-lens cycling glasses, and wear either a helmet with a visor, or a cycling cap or baseball cap under the helmet, to keep some of the rain off the specs.

Turn on your blinkies. One of the biggest hazards in rainy commuting is drivers not seeing well. Around here the drivers seem to get more aggressive and impatient the worse the weather is. Most of the time drivers here aren't so bad, but rainy weather seems to bring out the *sshole side of many of them.

Wear YELLOW. See above re driver visibility.

Watch out for slippery stuff, especially painted lines and anything metal.

Have fun. On the quiet stretches, enjoy the gentle woosh of the tires on the wet road, and the eerie smoothness of a water-lubed chain.

Next morning, put some oil lube on the chain to replace what the water washed away.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Regarding eyewear and rain - wear a cycling or baseball cap under your helmet. It makes a *huge* difference in keeping water from beading up on your glasses and making them useless.

Scott

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
It's not so bad

Though the "heavy" is only at times, that sounds like my daily commute in off-season months. It's okay.

Fenders are beyond a given. Front mudflaps are really nice. Everything you WEAR will get wet, so get things that will stay warm when wet. An outer windblocking layer is nice.

If you are going to be doing multiple commutes in nasty weather, having 2 or more pairs of gloves and socks on your person is really nice to have. You can also bring in a second pair of shoes, that way you can store the wet ones, take the dry ones for the ride home. Even if they get wet, you can probably do better dryin' them at home in 12-16 hours than at work in 8-10.

Yes, also, visibility, Koolstop Salmon brake pads, carry an extra tube, etc etc.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update.

I picked a couple of great days to harden up and ride in less than stellar weather. Here is my review.

The Good

Wool clothing is the bomb. I had an ibex long sleeve underlayer and a wool short sleeve jersey covered by a wind vest. I also use wool gloves, layered, depending on the temps.

Booties- Will keep the water off your shoes for a little while

Fenders-Kind of work if it is not raining hard. The improvised mud flap from a gatorade bottle worked pretty well

The Bad

Eyewear- useless in the rain

Fender- I now know why the part of the fender that sticks out in front of your brake is there. I cut mine off to not have to deal with the mod on the fender.

42 Degrees- It is cold when it is raining.

The Ugly-

My wife when I refused to let her pick me up via car.
Putting on wet clothes for the ride home. (They were mostly dry via a fan)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Ya' done good

Now you'll be an all-weather commuter. I was actually wondering about you while riding in this morning (in cool but sunny weather) and was going to post a request for an update.

Did you just call your wife ugly? You might want to edit that ;-)

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
... on fenders

If you say your fenders "sort of work," then you either need different fenders, or you need them installed closer to the wheels. A full front fender with a mudflap is awesome.

That bit on the front -- when you're riding on really wet roads, the spray from the top of your tire kicks up onto your bars and face. it's not as bad as the behind the tire stuff, but it's there. It doesn't need to extend all that far.

Nice work toughing it out out there!

Again I will say, I love having that backup pair of gloves and socks, at least, for the ride home.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Argentius said:
If you say your fenders "sort of work," then you either need different fenders, or you need them installed closer to the wheels. A full front fender with a mudflap is awesome.

That bit on the front -- when you're riding on really wet roads, the spray from the top of your tire kicks up onto your bars and face. it's not as bad as the behind the tire stuff, but it's there. It doesn't need to extend all that far.

Nice work toughing it out out there!

Again I will say, I love having that backup pair of gloves and socks, at least, for the ride home.
Well, to be fair, fenders will not keep you dry in a downpour- at that point, yer just gonna get wet.

But, when you do decide to go all the way with fenders, give these a try-

http://www.velo-orange.com/fenders.html

all the fenders VO stocks are extra long. I can personally speak to their awesomeness, and the house-brand fenders cost about the same as plastic.

Congratulations on the commute- riding in the rain is a lot like getting punched in the nose- it sucks, but the more you do it, the less it hurts.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everybody for the comments.

Let me clarify a few things. First, wifey is not real ugly but she got ugly about me riding in the wet, cold weather for some reason.LOL

Second, when I say it rained I mean, we got 1.51 inches of rain yesterday and it didn't get above 45 degrees. The day before wasn't much better. To be honest, I could tough anything out for an 11 mile ride so it wasn't bad. I had a rain jacket and didn't use it. The only thing that got cold was my arms and that is because of the spray off the front tire had me soaked and the wind was hitting my arms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts