Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a road about twelve miles away from my typical startin point that is on average at a 2-3% incline. It is roughly ten miles long.

I don't know why, but no matter what condition I am in mentally or physically, I grind to a halt (10-12 m.p.h.) on these long but not terrible gradients... even in the beginning of it...

There are other locations where I perform just like this, but this is the one I am using in my example...

What kind of training, exercise or preparation can help me perform better on this kind of "elevation"?

·
Registered
61 Posts
time yourself and keep at it

Time yourself on the hill and keep doing it. This worked for me.

There is this 9km climb along my favorite weekend route. I have been riding this hill weekly for several months and I felt that I was not improving. I mentioned this to a friend who suggested that I record my time on the hill. So for several weeks, I timed myself on this hill and found out that while my suffering felt the same, my time steadily improved from 29+minutes to 25+minutes.

Maybe your pain is constant but your time is improving.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
lalahsghost said:
There's a road about twelve miles away from my typical startin point that is on average at a 2-3% incline. It is roughly ten miles long.

I don't know why, but no matter what condition I am in mentally or physically, I grind to a halt (10-12 m.p.h.) on these long but not terrible gradients... even in the beginning of it...

There are other locations where I perform just like this, but this is the one I am using in my example...

What kind of training, exercise or preparation can help me perform better on this kind of "elevation"?
I bet if you re-read this post you'll be able to come up with an idea. :idea:

·
Registered
296 Posts
You don't know how much I envy you having a 10 mile long hill near you. The longest hill near me is like 2 miles. My solution to getting better @ a certain hill or something...Do it...a lot, I mean like if you could hit that hill like every other ride i bet that would help. Or do an easy 12 mile warm up and then have that hill be your workout for the day... and only that hill, just go all out.
Also, try changing gears, spinning faster, and see what happens.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Low grades like 2-3% should be taken in the big ring, if you treat it like that you won't be slacking.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All good advice. Thank you guys.
function said:
Low grades like 2-3% should be taken in the big ring, if you treat it like that you won't be slacking.
I gave the lower estimate of the calculated average incline. it's actually two or three hills with very little negative or 0% grade, but (OMG) spikes at 5% on a few parts... I just didn't want to sound like it was a really tough manly hill because it just seems like the worst false flat ever.

sounds like I'm gonna try hill reps!

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Simple: You suck at something - do it more! :)

Hill repeats. Then when you're feeling like crap, do it again. And again.

Basically, you just need to ride more hills. Tempo intervals can work too as well as LT intervals but there's no real substitute for riding up the hill itself and grinding it out or just spinning the gears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts